4orcefed240's Sleeping Beauty

4orcefed240

Rollin-2.jpg

Rollin.jpg

Hey guys, well a friend of mine referred me to the site. I have the same SN over on IWSTI and NASIOC. This is my build from stock to meow. I always take pictures when I am doing stuff to my car for the most part (can?t always remember to grab a camera). Had some free time over the Thanksgiving holiday so I thought that I would get those pics organized and uploaded. This thread is more of a look back at this point. All though I will try and keep posting in here as I progress from here.

Bought my 2006 Steel Gray Metallic STI back in 2008 when the economy went to ****. It was a one owner car and at the time the owner ?just had to get rid of it.? So the journey began?

Here is a shot of when I first brought it home, clean & stock! Perfect

n44005349_33221470_3312225.jpg

I wasn?t a huge fan of the wing on this color. I think it looks great on some of the other colors but not SGM. So I stumbled upon a guy selling an OEM unpainted trunk lid and had that replaced. While I was at it I also picked up some JDM tail lights since I couldn?t find any 04-05s in good condition at the time.

IMG_0331.jpg

Picked up an accessport as my first real upgrade and drove around on ?stage 1? for I think about 2 weeks before I wanted more. Something that I learned from my previous turbo cars is that speed is only fun if you can also stop. Before any more mods went onto the car I picked up some Hawk HP Streets and DBA 4000 rotors.

IMG_0100.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

I then did my research and decided on what my ?stage 2? would be ?

APS CAI
Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe
Grimmspeed EBCS
Invidia catless downpipe
AMS Exhaust (still one of my favorite mods, looks identical to stock)
DW850cc injectors
Walbro fuel pump

IMAG0124.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

After putting all of this on I went to Cobb Tuning in Plano, TX to have my car tuned on my new stage 2. I did both a 91oct and E85 tune.

IMAG0008.jpg

You can see the results below. On E85 this obviously surprised quite a few people.

graph.php

Dyno Vid:
http://youtu.be/v_ek97ekkuI

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

That winter with the torque that I now had on hand I wanted to make sure that my Subaru would feel at home in its habitat so I bought some Blizzak WS60s.

When I took them to the tire shop the Monday before Christmas 2009 the salesman there said ?you realize these are snow/ice tires only? We have some great all seasons that would work better.? Needless to say I told him to put on the Blizzaks, I had done my research and could care less about his thoughts. That Christmas eve was when Oklahoma City got over 12 inches of snow in less than 24 hours, closing all major highways and brining everything to a halt? Except me :) As I plowed thru the snow and pulled out cars with my tow strap all I could hear in my head was that salesman just a few days earlier. As a token of my appreciation I did donuts in their parking lot, lol.

WARNING in advance, the wind is a little ridiculous in this vid

http://youtu.be/bwTDQfdiBKM

This is just me filming SilentGuy2k4 in his STI with Blizzaks, we were tag teaming this parking lot

http://youtu.be/4SvlaFb8tRA

Had the Blizzaks on my car until probably March and they held up amazingly well. So well that I put the same set on again this past winter from Thanksgiving till March and will likely do the same this year. I?m thinking this will be the last year before I buy another set. With three seasons I can?t complain about the cost if you divide it over those years. Not to mention they are way quieter than any summer tire.

For my bachelors party my friends took me to Dallas and we had a little dyno day at Cobb Plano!

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

Next up I decided that I needed more power(don?t we all?) so I picked out a setup that I felt would push the limits of the stock block and retain decent spool. After reading practically every proven power bragging thread on NASIOC, and countless hours comparing dyno?s on Cobb?s Dyno Database. I added this to my current stage 2 to make my ?stage 3?

FP Green 7cm ported, polished and ceramic coated by Grimmspeed
APS 3? inlet
Perrin Aftamaf
KSTech 73mm CAI
Perrin FMIC
Grimmspeed ported and polished throttle body/intake manifold/TGVs
8mm Grimmspeed phenolic spacers
Fuel Lab FPR

In this pic you can see the FP Green vs VF39 and the port work on the green

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

Pulling the intake manifold for the TGVs and spacers

IMAG0164.jpg

Fuel Lab FPR

IMAG0112.jpg

New FP oil send and coolant lines

IMAG0123.jpg

My trusty guard kitty

IMAG0132.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

Was a little less than what I was hoping for but I knew what I needed to change. Since I had gone FMIC I thought it would make the car look super sleeper without the scoop on the hood. So I replaced that with just a base Impreza hood.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Once again I was happy and putting the hurt on some unsuspecting cars. Most people that saw me either thought I was an Impreza or a WRX with STI wheels. Perfecto.

Last edited:

4orcefed240

I knew that I was going to need more fuel to make it any further than where I was at on E85. The Walbro was falling on its face on the dyno and the 850s weren?t helping much either. So I picked up a DW301 pump and some Five-O 1200cc sidefeed injectors. Started the car up initially and the idle seemed great. I had read some negative reviews on these injectors that said idle was horrible. However there seemed to be overwhelming support for them. THEN I took the car out for a spin? At decel and part throttle driving the car would buck back and forth. I shrugged it off after speaking with my tuner and headed down to get it worked out on the dyno. To say the least no matter what we tried we could not get the injectors to cooperate with us at part throttle driving. At full throttle they were great, but this was my daily driver, which made me uneasy to say the least. So I contacted Deatsch Werks since I knew they were about to release the 1000cc sidefeeds. Went and picked up a set and headed back to Dallas. Driving the car down there the part throttle and decel seemed great. This time though I took my trusty DW850s just in case anything happened. When we got it on the dyno not even 4 pulls into the session cyl 3 went crazy. Pulled the sparkplugs, checked compression, everything looked great(phew). Moved the injector to cyl 1 and the problem moved with it :x

SO I put the 850s back in and started my trip back home to OKC.

As you can imagine I was pretty pissed. Deatsch Werks was totally cool about the entire situation and made sure that I was taken care of. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for some upgraded injectors.

However, my quest for fuel still hadn?t been solved. I didn?t want to go topfeed because I had already dropped the cash to have Grimmspeed port match my TGVs and intake manifold. So after many hours of research I decided on the T1R Topfeed conversion kit. It still retains the sidefeed TGVs but has a rail to fit custom Injector Dynamics topfeed injectors. So naturally with how fed up with injectors I was (however I had become a pro at replacing injectors in less than 20 mins, which is no small feat on a Subaru) I decided to go big or go home and picked up the ID2000s with the kit. Looking back I wish I would have bought these injectors from the get go. They idle and drive like stock, big thumbs up to Tony at T1R a totally stand up guy. He had tuned my RB20 before when no one else wanted to, and had great results with that as well. Not to mention the sidefeed to topfeed kit filling a niche in the Subaru market.

IMAG0099.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

At this time my stock clutch had taken a beating of its life and I had felt it slip a few times. It stayed true though and stuck it out till the end. Since I knew it was on its last leg, I picked up an ACT HD 6 puck sprung clutch. I knew I would be in there pulling stuff apart so I went ahead and replaced all the stock bushings/mounts as well.

HD ACT 6 puck sprung
Torque Solutions engine/tranny mounts
Torque Solutions billet aluminum pitch stop
Torque Solutions Driveshaft carrier bearing support bushings
Kartboy 6MT front shifter stay bushing
Kartboy rear shifter stay bushing
TiC 06+ STi linkage bushings
TiC 6MT pivot bushings
TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings

This obviously added quite a bit of cabin noise from the transmission, but I love how it came out and wouldn?t change a thing. The shifting is now more precise and the clutch holds like none other.

Yes I pulled the motor to replace the clutch, waay easier this way. Esp with no lift, I?d rather not lay under the tranny.

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

(my skinny goofy ass)

IMAG0040.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

Finally I had come to a point where I knew that I needed to build the motor if I wanted to make any more power. My only setback was that I needed this car everyday and wanted something that I could just drop in. So naturally I scoured the internet in search of what I was looking for and found myself at Element Tuning. I really liked their approach to engine building and Phil is a super nice guy. Here are the specs of the build

New OEM block
CP pistons (stock compression)
Manley Rods
ACL bearings
ARP Headstuds
+1mm Ferrera valves/springs/retainers
Cosworth Cams

Cozzys installed

IMAG0061.jpg

Killer B Oil Pickup, this thing is STOUT

IMAG0117.jpg

Since I was going to be dropping in this new motor I also wanted to up the game on my turbo side as well. Here is the outcome of that debate:

Twinscroll FP HTA86
Garage Tuning Twinscroll turbo kit (sent them my turbo for custom kit)
Twin Tial 38mm wastegates
Dual Bosch 044s
Integrated Engineering surge tank
-8an feed line/-6an return
Zeitronix ethanol content analyzer (bday present from the wife =)
KSTech 83mm Rotated Intake
Weldon FPR
Heat wrap, heat wrap, heat wrap

PARTS!

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

Modified the stock fuel pump hanger to allow AN fittings and better flow to the surge tank

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

Annodized the inside of the surge tank to withstand the ethanol

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

100 Feet of wrap :eek: (yes I used every inch of it)

IMG_0220.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

After I got everything back from Garage Tuning, I took it all and had it ceramic coated ? headers, uppipe, downpipe, dump tubes, and turbo exhaust housing. I then proceeded with the wrapping.

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

Here is the final product of the surge tank, big thumbs up to Tony and TFab for welding the bracket for me

IMG_0330.jpg

To say the least it?s a little crowded now on that side of the motor.

IMG_0304.jpg

Last edited:

4orcefed240

After getting all the initial kinks worked out, it was time for another trip to Dallas. Results were great, I was a little worried about the spool up of this turbo, but in comparison I only lost about 250rpms over my FP Green! =) This is at only 27psi.

Video from the Dyno:

http://youtu.be/ATy0cF_0ETM

Dyno Chart:

E94 Dyno Chart ?

graph.php

IMG_0324.jpg

E82 Dyno Chart (Lovin that boost curve) ?

graph.php

E94 Layed over E82

graph.php

This is probably my favorite one, this is my HTA86 vs. my old 7cm FPGreen that was ported and polished! (also on E82) Can?t even tell a difference on the street in spool!

graph.php

IMAG0301-1.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

That?s how she stands as of today, and yes I still daily drive it to work. :tup:

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Awesome build! I love it!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Very impressive work! :tup:

Subscribed for pure awesome.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I knew that I was going to need more fuel to make it any further than where I was at on E85. The Walbro was falling on its face on the dyno and the 850s weren?t helping much either. So I picked up a DW301 pump and some Five-O 1200cc sidefeed injectors. Started the car up initially and the idle seemed great. I had read some negative reviews on these injectors that said idle was horrible. However there seemed to be overwhelming support for them. THEN I took the car out for a spin? At decel and part throttle driving the car would buck back and forth. I shrugged it off after speaking with my tuner and headed down to get it worked out on the dyno. To say the least no matter what we tried we could not get the injectors to cooperate with us at part throttle driving. At full throttle they were great, but this was my daily driver, which made me uneasy to say the least.

That confirms something for me sadly. I'm running Five-O top-feeds 1200cc's, and I've got exactly the same thing. I've tried to tuning it out to various degrees, with some limited success - but I always thought it was my O2 sensor failing. Come to think of it, this makes more sense (and I suspected it might be...) I've have very bad shuddering on extremely light throttle, worse on deceleration as AFRs are switching between lean (22AFR) and stoich. Sounds like what you had?

Irony is that I have almost perfect idle at 750rpm, no problems, and they are a beast at the top end.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Still don't think it is the injector... I have never had issues with any of the Five0's. The key with those injectors is to find the sweet spot with their latency

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I'm still going to swap out the O2 to make sure before I buy, my trims are very clean though I spent lots of time getting the latencies right...