4orcefed240's Sleeping Beauty

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm still going to swap out the O2 to make sure before I buy, my trims are very clean though I spent lots of time getting the latencies right...

Yes I know you have :D Knowing you I'm almost incline to retract my statement. You have meticulously adjusted every aspect of the ECU, there is almost no other explanation other than injectors or a sensor issue. The only thing that makes me think it is not the injectors is because they obviously work in higher RPM's and Load and obviously work at idle. That is just not indicative of a injector to cause issues in only one distinct spot in the RPM range above idle. Injector issues generally manifest themselves in a range from one rpm all the way down or all the way up. Anything else is usually a tuning issue. But you never know. As you suggest I would try the O2 first. Now also consider that with your highly modified setup, you are well outside the original design of the motor and it may just be the nature of the beast. There may be tables that we have not considered or have access too that will correct for certain anomalies

Last edited:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Nice build, to chime in on the five-o's...

3 of my 4 were clogged when i sent them back to Bruce at five-o. He sent me a new set and the bucking it would do at partial throttle almost went completely away. With a re-tune I bet it would go away all together. No more CELs thus far.

My verdict, go with something better, but if you already have them they will be fine. I don't know how many people that have had these issues ran e85 but I feel that it is a contributor.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yes I know you have :D Knowing you I'm almost incline to retract my statement. You have meticulously adjusted every aspect of the ECU, there is almost no other explanation other than injectors or a sensor issue. The only thing that makes me think it is not the injectors is because they obviously work in higher RPM's and Load and obviously work at idle. That is just not indicative of a injector to cause issues in only one distinct spot in the RPM range above idle. Injector issues generally manifest themselves in a range from one rpm all the way down or all the way up. Anything else is usually a tuning issue. But you never know. As you suggest I would try the O2 first. Now also consider that with your highly modified setup, you are well outside the original design of the motor and it may just be the nature of the beast. There may be tables that we have not considered or have access too that will correct for certain anomalies

Hey! You created this obsessive compulsive monster ;) I definitely owe you for starting me on this journey. Still want to check out the O2 because when I fiddled with the O2 sensor scaling ('desensitised' it for lack of a better description), I actually got rid of basically 95% of the pulsing. It's almost like the sensor is just tired, and responding slowly, which would make sense - it's been abused :D

Anyways, don't want to further O/T this thread - because this car is a real beaut. It's always great to see a well considered build :tup:

4orcefed240

I hate to say it but what you described is exactly what I experienced. If you still have your stock injectors have you tried dropping them in as a constant? If you don't have them I would hate to bet that they are the injectors.

The only thing that makes me think it is not the injectors is because they obviously work in higher RPM's and Load and obviously work at idle. That is just not indicative of a injector to cause issues in only one distinct spot in the RPM range above idle. Injector issues generally manifest themselves in a range from one rpm all the way down or all the way up.

When we were on the dyno we kept saying the same thing. Smooth as butter full throttle all the way up in the RPM range. As we slowly elminated variables it came down to the Five-Os and in the end thats exactly what it was.

icudruln

Awesome build man! Hopefully, mine follows in the footsteps yours went. I already see the early similarities, having issues with side feeds injectors, going to the T1R top feed conversion kit, followed by a nice clutch. Hopefully, I'll get to the built motor stage in the next year or two. How's the motor Phil built treating you? I'm already dead set on him building me a motor when I get to that point, but would love to hear from experience with him.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm sure it is possible. I just don't know what it is about them that could cause that. Could be coil inefficiencies at those pulse widths combined with modified flow rates. I'm just glad you got it running well. This has got to be one of my favorite STi's. :tup:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Meh... I think it's the injectors. Even running open loop (forcing the open loop table), I get pulsing.

4orcefed240 - there's another weird symptom that's been there since I got these injectors, want to check if you had something similar - after an ecu reset, even in open loop, starting the car up, if I press the accelerator very lightly, I mean literally just touch, I can actually stall the car. Watching the wide band, the AFR's start leaning till the 16's, and then it stalls. It's basically the same accelerator angle at which the bucking / pulsing happens. Looks like it's time to get new injectors, damn. I'm sure I can sell them at a decent price locally though.

You liking those ID 1000? I've decided not go E100 for the moment - it's just not practical (I really wish we had E85). I'll stick with meth - AEM kit on it's way. I'm wondering if I should go for these - I just don't want to have to upgrade again in the near future...

4orcefed240

Sorry for the late reply guys, my wife had our son almost two weeks ago and it has kept me busy to say the least.

Awesome build man! Hopefully, mine follows in the footsteps yours went. I already see the early similarities, having issues with side feeds injectors, going to the T1R top feed conversion kit, followed by a nice clutch. Hopefully, I'll get to the built motor stage in the next year or two. How's the motor Phil built treating you? I'm already dead set on him building me a motor when I get to that point, but would love to hear from experience with him.

Love it! Phil is a great guy and the motor is going strong. Unfortunately with how I am, I am already looking at more options to push everything even further.

Meh... I think it's the injectors. Even running open loop (forcing the open loop table), I get pulsing.

4orcefed240 - there's another weird symptom that's been there since I got these injectors, want to check if you had something similar - after an ecu reset, even in open loop, starting the car up, if I press the accelerator very lightly, I mean literally just touch, I can actually stall the car. Watching the wide band, the AFR's start leaning till the 16's, and then it stalls. It's basically the same accelerator angle at which the bucking / pulsing happens. Looks like it's time to get new injectors, damn. I'm sure I can sell them at a decent price locally though.

You liking those ID 1000? I've decided not go E100 for the moment - it's just not practical (I really wish we had E85). I'll stick with meth - AEM kit on it's way. I'm wondering if I should go for these - I just don't want to have to upgrade again in the near future...

I actually have the ID2000s, and yes they are great. Got rid of all my injector problems and my car idles like stock... Er well as close to stock with how much I have done, lol. I am fortunate with the fact that I have e85 and e100 just around the corner.

hey are those star specs on your stockers? either way what size? 235/45?

Yes sir, and I love them. These are my second set. 225/45-17(stock size)