ABS Issues and Diagnostics

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I really need to (finally) get my ABS fixed for this winter and an inspection. The ABS light is on (Solid, unblinking) and ABS definitely does not work. My car is a 2007 (may be important).

As far as I know, there are two ways to diagnose:
1) OBD2 code scanner
2) Diagnostic connector

OBD2 Code Scanner
The only one that i KNOW works is the one at the Subaru dealership.
Some of the handheld ones claim to pull ABS codes, but usually from GM, Honda, Ford but not specifically Subaru.
So:
Does anyone know of a specific hand-held that works for ABS on a Subaru?

Diagnostic Connector
There is allegedly a 6-pin connector under the dash near the green test-connectors. In my searching, some people claimed it was removed for [I think] MY05. I spent a good while searching, including feeling every taped-up wire bundle for lumps that could be hidden connectors and did NOT find it.
So:
Does anyone know for sure if it is or is not on a 2007? If so, specifically where it is? I would love to check the following two places: 1) a MY07-specific wire diagram or 2) a MY07-specific service manual for ABS diagnosis.

Are there any methods that I've missed? I don't believe my AP will read ABS codes. Does the Tactrix/RomRaider/Open-Source read ABS? I have a OBD2-USB cable that I can use.

If anyone can help me out I'd be very thankful!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What's the system doing?

We use the Snap On Modis tool to diagnostic that kinda stuff.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
On the 04 there is a diagnostic connector. I am locating the Manual for the 07 right now and will have an answer in a moment.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Looks like you are SOL. The 04 allows diagnosis of the ABS system through a stand alone diagnostic connector and with some jumpers to ground. You, however, do not have that luxury and require a Subaru Select Monitor to read and clear codes through the OBDII connector. If you know someone with a MODIS scan tool you can read and clear codes.

Also check the DCCD control module on the back of the glove box. If it is not plugged in or broken, the ABS will not function. The diagnostic procedure suggest that if the light is on solid then there is likely an electrical issue somewhere. Try cycling all of the connectors.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Looks like you are SOL. The 04 allows diagnosis of the ABS system through a stand alone diagnostic connector and with some jumpers to ground. You, however, do not have that luxury and require a Subaru Select Monitor to read and clear codes through the OBDII connector. If you know someone with a MODIS scan tool you can read and clear codes.

Also check the DCCD control module on the back of the glove box. If it is not plugged in or broken, the ABS will not function. The diagnostic procedure suggest that if the light is on solid then there is likely an electrical issue somewhere. Try cycling all of the connectors.

Do you know if RomRaider (or similar) can be used instead of MODIS?

I need to pull my glovebox to replace the cabin filter, is that where the box is? Just a visual inspection?

I have tried checking the fuses that are ABS related, but they were all ok. HOWEVER, there is some internet discussion about a hidden ABS fuse. Indeed, on the fuse panel behind the coin tray there is some verbiage that there are a few additional fuses located to the side with the relays. I searched and could not find any such fuses. (I think this is the same thing in mine:)

fuse+box+interior.jpg

What other connectors should be cycled?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ok came across this picture (ignore the arrow, someone else's comments, and i have no idea what adding a relay there would do!), and i definitely see two side fuses. I'll have to re-check mine.

picture050mediumjb4.jpg

It's hard to believe i missed something so obvious, so i'm thinking they're not there. Weird.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nope romraider will not read ABS codes.

Yes once you remove the glove box you will see the controller attached to the back. I would cycle those connectors and the connectors at the ABS unit itself.

Don't know anything about any hidden fuses though.

Do you know if RomRaider (or similar) can be used instead of MODIS?

I need to pull my glovebox to replace the cabin filter, is that where the box is? Just a visual inspection?

I have tried checking the fuses that are ABS related, but they were all ok. HOWEVER, there is some internet discussion about a hidden ABS fuse. Indeed, on the fuse panel behind the coin tray there is some verbiage that there are a few additional fuses located to the side with the relays. I searched and could not find any such fuses. (I think this is the same thing in mine:)

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static...Image=true&token=HDLcU2Uv0+YsLrDvbQzJszCTpPo=

What other connectors should be cycled?