AC belt replaced, PULLEY broke!

microsnook

I started noticing a squealing noise coming from my car. Then I realized it was when I turned on my AC, it squealed.
Took it to an AC shop, and of course it made no noise when I turned on the AC.

Today I did my transmission oil and then went to take it for a test drive and got about 50 feet and my AC belts broke off and ripped apart.

Went to the auto store and got the replacement belts. Installed them and cranked the car, and the belts weren't on correctly, so I fixed it and my dad helped me out.
Turned on the car again and double checked everything. It all looked good. Went for a ride, and it went well.
Got back to my street, and turned the AC on, and it squealed again.
I understood that these were new belts and needed to get fitted on there and warmed up and what not and thought I would let it go for a few days.

Went for another drive tonight and then when I was about a mile from home the belt broke and I heard some noises, and then lost my power steering and my lights come on, etc. I managed to get almost all the way home and then I stopped and turned the car off and checked out the situation, ONE OF MY PULLEYS CAME OFF and was resting on top of my manifold.

My dad came and towed me home and the car is sitting in the driveway.

This is a long explanation and I hope I explained everything with detail. I don't have any pictures yet and won't have them until tmrw sometime I'm guessing.

Does anyone know where I should go from here?
Was it my AC clutch?
Anything else that was making the belts break?

Since stuff broke, I was hoping I could replace it with something aftermarket
smile.gif

Just need some tips.
Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Vermont

Sounds like the pulley was over torqued or the clutch is going. You might want to pull off all the belts and pulleys and re attach them to make sure they are at the right torque specs. Like you thought as well a bad clutch on the AC could also cause this problem, especially if you are hearing a nasty squealing coming from the AC pump then you might want to pull the pump and inspect the clutch for damage. You can pick up a good used one online here or on IWSTI.com. If I remember right rek888v2 on here is selling a whole bunch of stock STi parts and I think he has an extra AC pump. As this would probably be cheaper than buying a brand new one from Subaru. If he doesn't have one, there is a vendor on here called Oak Leaf Auto Salvage ( http://www.oakleafautosalvage.com/ )who specializes in Subaru and STI wrecked cars so you would defiantly be able to get one from him for cheap. Also I would suggest not buying Auto Zone replacement parts for the STI. Reason being that the quality of the those types of replacement parts is often times crap and can cause more harm than good. I would suggest picking up a Gates belt kit to replace the broken belt and also to replace all of the other belts as they are probably past due.

microsnook

Thanks Vermont. Where do I get the belts from, online?
Because I need my car everyday and can't wait for parts to come in the mail. Right now Im w/o it obviously but its just a lot more difficult.

Ill try and get it apart and look at a few things to see what the problem is...

microsnook

UPDATE with images

These first few images show where the pulley actually fell off of the mount.
If I'm not mistaken, this is where I could replace the OEM pulley with an aftermarket, lightweight pulley, correct?

2yzmmnd.jpg

34oobiu.jpg

wgw2a.jpg

10f9o2t.jpg

261onle.jpg

34h7xau.jpg

microsnook

Whats the crank bolt for?
Im still learning and just figured out how to do the belts yesterday. I don't know how to take all the rest of it apart yet.
Should this be something I have a shop do?

microsnook

Dang, not what I was hoping for. Now I have to get my car towed there....

Should I order a Grimmspeed lightweight pulley, or is that not the pulley that broke? Im pretty sure thats the one I can replace with the aftermarket piece.

Last edited:

microsnook

Ok, so what I am going to do it order:
1. Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley for the replacement.
2. Order some new belts. Any brands? Autozone belts work fine?
3. The timing belt cover is the piece that got the wear on it when the belt came off and rubbed against it? The black plastic piece?

Also, could this be my AC clutch going bad though? Does that need to be replaced at all?

Any other things that I need to order or get?

35r

Mine makes the same noise, bad clutch... sooo i opted to just never use my A/C... easy fix. if its hot out, i put the windows down and drive fast. good nuff for me ! i dont recommend you do this ,and to get it properly fixed... BUT if for some reason u cant fix it at the moment, just make sure the A/C is turned off when u start the car and ull be fine.

Vermont

My suggestion (since you said you need the car ASAP) order a new crank pull and gates belt kit. You can order then 2 day or something so you get them on the weekend (or over night if you really need it). Install them and then like 33r said, start the car up with the AC off. If it is only the AC clutch then this should fix the problem for now, this should also get you back on the road temporarily until you can get a shop to look it over when you have the money and time. I would follow this route instead of towing due to just how freaking expensive it can get if you don't have free towing.

Before you hope onto the road or start the car up, you should make sure the belts are all tensioned properly and that the nothing is chipped, cut, or bent that should not be. Basically give the engine and engine bay a once over for anything that is out of place or damaged.

microsnook

Thanks you guys!

Im going to order a pulley and belts I think.
I have the AAA membership so I am getting it towed to a shop where they can look over everything. Id like just them to install the parts that I provide them.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you dont have a high level membership, you only get a few miles of towing for free. At least that was true when i bent two rims in the middle-of-nowhere texas :doh:

microsnook

The shop was 7 miles away and it counted for 5 miles free. So I got charged $10 extra.
They said they won't do an aftermarket pulley, which pissed me off, but I obviously need the car working, so Im going to get it fixed.

Also, they said the water pump broke and they need to replace the timing belt. So $680 worth of charges. Done tmrw afternoon.

What do you guys think?

jswansti

For $680 are they just doing the belt and pump, or doing a full Gates timing kit? Might as well get it all some while they're in there and make everything new.

microsnook

The water pump turned out to be OK. It was something else restricting it.
So whats being replaced is the unison balancer? I forget the name. Basically where the crank pulley is and I think the timing belt but I am unsure.

It won't be as expensive, obviously.

Its through my dads friends mechanic. He works there and he is doing the car. Says he knows how to do it all. I just don't like people working on my STI that don't know the car...

Do you think a tune is going to be necessary after getting the work done?
Because timing will be different or anything like that?

Thanks for all the help, i know there are a lot of questions.