anyone have any utec experience?

So I am amidst some changes in engine management. if some of you dont alreay know in terms of design the UTEC is a "piggyback" but it works as a "standalone" There really is not much information out there on them nor does it seem to be too popular but for what it does and for the price it used to be, I jumped on one real quick since it was such a good price. I made the change from using romriader to purchasing this.

So is there anyone that has tuning experience with this? Im trying to familiarize myself with this as well as learn how to use it effectively and if i still use romraider to tune the lower threshold. any help would be great. thank you

Grinder34

Track Monkey

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
OS now has fully integrated speed density and one of the best implementations of it I have seen. It is fairly recent but it is well worth investigating. Though it doesn't have anti lag it does have launch control and I think flat foot shifting. Also flashes the shift light on knock events (or maybe its the engine light) If you need I can get you what ever ROM you require.

Unfortunately I don't think you will find many people that know the utec anymore. Not here anyway. OS and Cobb have really come a long way. That and the AEM series 2.

Last edited:
the only launch control i have seen is the patch that you have to pay for that does and does not include antilag...as far as the speed density goes, how do i go about implmenting that into the OS maps?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
the only launch control i have seen is the patch that you have to pay for that does and does not include antilag...as far as the speed density goes, how do i go about implmenting that into the OS maps?

There are new all included roms now that have SD,LC and FFS and knock light all in one rom with no special patch to install. All you need is the right XML file.. The only thing is, these roms don't work in RomRaider but you simply use ECUedit instead.

What year car do you have... If I have the rom I can make it easy for you and just give it to you. Otherwise you would have to search the RR forums for it.

you are an awesome dude man. i have the 05 sti. My only question now is how do you edit the VE table after switching to speed density? and how do you take advantage of the LC and FFS with the patch?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The process for tuning the VE table is pretty much the same as scaling the MAF. The difference is you are filling a 3D table versus a linear 2D table.

Screenshot-2013-02-27_09.27.21.jpg

Also you need to make sure that you calibrate the MAF first and your latency and injector scaling are spot on. To do this you need to turn off the SD logic simply by zeroing out the entire Blending table. The reason for this is because the spread sheet used to estimate the VE table uses input from these other parameters. If you want a precise VE table then you would take the time and use this method

The other method is to simply go out and do some runs and keep adjusting your VE table till you reach your desired AFR target. A sorta sledge hammer approach but far less time consuming, and done right, better.

The strategy would be to use the MAF logic like you would normally for daily driving and in the low and mid to upper mid load ranges. Then have the logic switch to SD when you go WOT. It makes things easier because for most of the tune it is business as usual and the tuning process is no different than what you already know. The differences are when you go WOT the SD takes over and you tune AFR using the VE table. In the following example I have it set to maintain MAF logic till it reaches 1.26 lbs of boost. Then it completely switches over to SD. Or you can set this up to use the MAF till it reaches it's capacity and then switch over to SD only when it is absolutely needed.

Screenshot-2013-02-27_09.31.03.jpg

As mentioned the Knock CEL flash, LC and FFS is all part of the same rom and there is no need for a patch. These settings will become obvious to you once you open the rom in ECUedit.

Screenshot-2013-02-27_09.23.27.jpg

So you can see how powerful and well implemented this is and it opens up a whole bunch of opportunities for us. No more expensive and inferior products. As an example, using this strategy, SpecOps Motorsports implemented this on a customer's car. It is a daily driven +600hp STi and one of the most streetable applications of its kind.

I will go ahead and locate the rom for your car and if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you. PM me your Email so I can send you a package of files. I may need a day or so because I'm not home at the moment and the files are on my home computer. :tup:

Ultimately if you use it and like it, I do encourage you to donate to the author of the rom. He did amazing work here. (Merp: RR Forums)

George

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Not much to add to what Holy has said, other than the fact the antilag is already in testing phase by Merp. Also, I'm helping him out now with disassembling roms in the format needed the compiler he has put together to generate the patches, so I can get access to pretty much all the Alpha stuff that he's working on (some of the new stuff for example includes cel light flash on high EGT, using the o2 sensor resistance, Cel flash on overheat, Automatic gear-based FFS, live launch control adjust using cruise lever).

As holy said, consider donating - $25 is nothing for the kind of functionality that he's developed, and he's put in seriously long hours into this project.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Not much to add to what Holy has said, other than the fact the antilag is already in testing phase by Merp. Also, I'm helping him out now with disassembling roms in the format needed the compiler he has put together to generate the patches, so I can get access to pretty much all the Alpha stuff that he's working on (some of the new stuff for example includes cel light flash on high EGT, using the o2 sensor resistance, Cel flash on overheat, Automatic gear-based FFS, live launch control adjust using cruise lever).

As holy said, consider donating - $25 is nothing for the kind of functionality that he's developed, and he's put in seriously long hours into this project.

You guys are making leaps and bounds over there I see. Keep up the great work! :tup:

Last edited:
yes, the effort put in is excellent. it is greatly appreciated. I have already donated in the past but the plan is to sell this utec and take whatever proceeds and just donate it all to RR.

so with the addition of the SD tuning, i see that it is done in ecuflash. does this make romraider obsolete in tuning this area of the overall tune? I see the rest of what you are talking about is self explanatory. I will pm you my email and really its no rush man. I really liked using romraider to view and compare maps vs ecuflash. so really it seems like i would tune all the stuff that is business as usual for now and then use ecuflash to tune everything in the SD rhealm correct?

I'll have to get with you later on more of the specifics of tuning sd but we will just do one thing at a time for now. thank you very much for taking the time to post screen shots and explaining everything holy. i really appreciate it...

Td_d

Commander In Chief
We're about to test an 05 EDM Sti with all the alpha stuff - if you're interested, I could pull the relevant addresses from your rom and have Merp develop a patch. Would take a little time - it's about 6 to 8 hours on my side, and Merp's pretty snowed under at the moment, but I'm happy to do it for you.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Oh - and on the Ecuflash vs. Romraider question - no, doesn't make RR obsolete, its just that most of the devs prefer testing in Ecuflash (much quicker and easier to use with experimental stuff). All it would take is converting the 32bitbase definitions from Ecuflash format to RR format, and then RR can be used.

We're about to test an 05 EDM Sti with all the alpha stuff - if you're interested, I could pull the relevant addresses from your rom and have Merp develop a patch. Would take a little time - it's about 6 to 8 hours on my side, and Merp's pretty snowed under at the moment, but I'm happy to do it for you.

sounds great man. what would the patch do?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
sounds great man. what would the patch do?

I believe he is referring to Antilag... but keep in mind that it is still in development and has not been properly tested yet... though I have the highest confidence in everything they do :tup:

To be honest I think you should try to get past the SD and LC stuff first. Take baby steps LOL

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I believe he is referring to Antilag... but keep in mind that it is still in development and has not been properly tested yet... though I have the highest confidence in everything they do :tup:

To be honest I think you should try to get past the SD and LC stuff first. Take baby steps LOL
Chuckle... fair enough, George :lol:

Antilag is not quite ready yet, but the not yet published functionality include CEL flash on coolant overheat, CEL flash on high EGT (using the O2 sensor resistance as a proxy), live LC adjustability (using the cruise control lever), per gear adjusted FFS, and one or two other I can't remember. But the proviso with the really new, Alpha stuff is know the risk - and know how to use an SHBoot cable in case the ecu gets bricked (unlikely, but possible).

So stick with the published stuff for now - pretty awesome - and we can talk once you have that down.

STI 2NR

I have the experience of installing one, fiddling with it a bit and then selling it. That is all. I find open source more resourceful.