blown turbo?

jcolomde

hey guys,
I have an 05 sti. a couple weeks ago I started loosing power at high rpms on occasion. my access port would show me peak boost of only 18.5 and then drop to 16.5 (normally my peak is like 20-22). also smoke started coming from around the bottom of intercooler and turbo area. the smoke used to only happen under load, now it'll happen randomly even if im just cruising. my oil and coolant levels remain fine, no sign of leaks. My friends suggests that my turbo is blown. they also suggested to not drive the car anymore. what do you guys think? thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Z1107

First I wouldn't recommend using your AP as a boost gauge, not accurate at all. Second sounds like a blown turbo, is it making any noise?

Oh and yes don't drive it.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The AP won't register boost beyond 22 psi though. If it is spiking you will never know.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You can buy yourself a boost leak tester for something like $35, or a shop should be able to do it for you.

There are some less precise ways like spraying the system down with soapy water and looking for bubbles, but those arent foolproof.

jcolomde

You can buy yourself a boost leak tester for something like $35, or a shop should be able to do it for you.

There are some less precise ways like spraying the system down with soapy water and looking for bubbles, but those arent foolproof.

i'll take my chances with having a shop check it. I hope its a leak. thank you!

jcolomde

okay pulled the inter-cooler out. there only was a small drop of oil on the inlet. no oil residues anywhere else. due to the fact the there was no oil anywhere else, the smoke was white, the smell was purely a coolant smell, and it wasn't a lot of smoke, we concluded that the coolant lines might be leaking. I will order stainless steel line on Tuesday and possibly and possibly a new intake inlet pipe (I'm open to suggestions on which inlet to buy). what;s you guy's feedback?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
okay pulled the intercooler out. there only was a small drop of oil on the inlet. no oil residues anywhere else. due to the fact the there was no oil anywhere else, the smoke was white, the smell was purely a coolant smell, and it wasn't a lot of smoke, we concluded that the coolant lines might be leaking. I will order stainless steel line on Tuesday and possibly and possibly a new intake inlet pipe (I'm open to suggestions on which inlet to buy). what;s you guy's feedback?

Hard to read your text color.

Two choices, silicone or hard (aluminum).

No personal experience as I have used neither of them.

If I were to change mine out, I would go with the hard line like AMR's.

jcolomde

Hard to read your text color.

Two choices, silicone or hard (aluminum).

No personal experience as I have used neither of them.

If I were to change mine out, I would go with the hard line like AMR's.
sorry about the text color, I dont know why it did that.
A friend of mine is going to give me a gimmick motorsports one. hopefully its good