Boost Troubles with my EWG

emsmap

I just installed a rotated Precision 5031 on my 2002 WRX. I am running a 44mm Tial wastegate and also went blowthrough MAF. I am running off my old Speed Density map on my UTEC. I am just trying to run wastegate pressure since I am trying to hit at least 12 psi which is my spring pressure. Now my problem I am having is when I hit around 8-10 psi, the car will shut off boost immediately and feels like I hit a brick wall. It starts to pull nice and then the boost stops. Now the weird thing is last night I went WOT and my wastegate opened at 12 psi for about a second. It wont open again though, this only happened last night. I checked all my couplers and my wastegate hoses. My AFRs are around 11.2s wide open so I know that I am not flooding the motor or anything. Any help would be great! Thank you all

Mod List

Stock Internals
Catless
44mm EWG
255 Walbro FP
UTEC
1000cc modified stock injectors
FMIC
Rotated Precision 5031 turbo

Vermont

I just installed a rotated Precision 5031 on my 2002 WRX. I am running a 44mm Tial wastegate and also went blowthrough MAF. I am running off my old Speed Density map on my UTEC. I am just trying to run wastegate pressure since I am trying to hit at least 12 psi which is my spring pressure. Now my problem I am having is when I hit around 8-10 psi, the car will shut off boost immediately and feels like I hit a brick wall. It starts to pull nice and then the boost stops. Now the weird thing is last night I went WOT and my wastegate opened at 12 psi for about a second. It wont open again though, this only happened last night. I checked all my couplers and my wastegate hoses. My AFRs are around 11.2s wide open so I know that I am not flooding the motor or anything. Any help would be great! Thank you all

Mod List

Stock Internals
Catless
44mm EWG
255 Walbro FP
UTEC
1000cc modified stock injectors
FMIC
Rotated Precision 5031 turbo

Welcome over here. Glad you stopped by. Hopefully Some one else can comment on any other ideas as far as what might be wrong, besides what I suggested.

The best way, but also the hardest way to test it, is to get an air pump and hook it up to the pressure input nipple and slowing increase the pressure while watching to see if the flap opens. If it opens at 12 psi you are good if not then you have problems. any type of air pump would work so long as you could watch the psi on a gauge. So like a bicycle tire pump and a gauge on it would work with the right fitting. You would want to test it off the car. So you could see the flap open on the bottom of it. This could be a simple problem of wrong spring combo in the waste gate.

emsmap

So I finally got my EWG opening! I changed a few settings in my parameters on the UTEC. Running wastegate pressure as of now. I have the Perrin EBCS that I will be using for boost control. The 44mm Tial sounds amazing! LOL

Vermont

So I finally got my EWG opening! I changed a few settings in my parameters on the UTEC. Running wastegate pressure as of now. I have the Perrin EBCS that I will be using for boost control. The 44mm Tial sounds amazing! LOL

Ahhh so the WGDC tables were jacked up? I had thought you were running mechanical pressure, I.E. vacuum line directly from turbo nipple to waste gate.

Vermont

LOL well what would you suggest on EM? My UTEC runs fine IMO

Honestly RomRaider or Cobb.... Those are the two big ones right now. If you are strapped for cash RomRaider is free and you just need a $120 tactrix cable. Or you can go Cobb with the Access Port (which cost $600) and Access Tuner Racer. Personally I like RomRaider due to cost, but ATR is also very good.

Btw, don't go to solely a MBC, get an after market 3-port electronic boost control solenoid and then learn how to set your WGDC, much better in the long run and for daily driving.

emsmap

I actually am using the 3 port Perrin EBCS right now. I have my fuel maps pretty rich ATM but pushing a nice steady 15 pounds. I used to run the Accessport V1 and sold it for the UTEC. I have been tuning on the UTEC for a few years now and really am used to it. I have heard about Romraider but just never stepped into it.

emsmap

I really like my UTEC. I have had it for YEARS.. Very simple tuning device. Very fast and assessable too

Vermont

I'm surprised you're not running a hybrid setup. I plan on switching to one before I retune. :cool:

OP,

Glad you got your situation sorted out. I'm having the exact opposite issue right now LOL. I'm hoping its as simple as a vacuum leak. I need to get some time and check it out.

Dude you might wanna reconsider using a hybrid setup. I was looking at doing the same thing a while back and found out that with the 32bit ecu's (all STIs) we can achieve the same results from using a a single 3 port EBCS as a complicated hybrid setup. If you tuner is having problems building boost for your setup then one of two things may be happening... A) you have something broken and needs to be fixed or B) He sucks at his job and should be taken out back and drawn and quartered...

Dude you might wanna reconsider using a hybrid setup. I was looking at doing the same thing a while back and found out that with the 32bit ecu's (all STIs) we can achieve the same results from using a a single 3 port EBCS as a complicated hybrid setup. If you tuner is having problems building boost for your setup then one of two things may be happening... A) you have something broken and needs to be fixed or B) He sucks at his job and should be taken out back and drawn and quartered...

LOL I'm having trouble controlling boost right now (probably something broken). My tuner knows his shit. Good to know regarding the hybrid setup... In theory it should still build boost faster. But this is a discussion for another thread. :D