Cam Instalation On An 05 STI

Sorry about a stupid question but I'm overly cautious at times and want to make sure I don't make a major mistake while installing the cam gears and timing belt on my newly rebuilt heads and motor.

So when installing the cam gears on to the cams and rotating the cams to align the gears timing marks when installing the timing belt do I have to be concerned with which ways I turn the cams?

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Does this pic show the correct cam rotating for aligning the timing marks on a 2005 sti ?

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes that is correct, and you only have to worry about that one side of the motor.

The trick is to maintain the cam's position while installing the belt. They tend to walk away from you quite violently. They sell a cam locking tool for this purpose and I suggest you get one. Also the cam sprocket tools are good to have also.

I just bought a set for my up coming build for around $150 for all three. I'm sure one of our vendors can help you with this if you descide.

camlock.jpg camtool.jpg camtool2.jpg

Yes that is correct, and you only have to worry about that one side of the motor.

The trick is to maintain the cam's position while installing the belt. They tend to walk away from you quite violently. They sell a cam locking tool for this purpose and I suggest you get one. Also the cam sprocket tools are good to have also.

I just bought a set for my up coming build for around $150 for all three. I'm sure one of our vendors can help you with this if you descide.

View attachment 7179 View attachment 7180 View attachment 7181

View attachment 7179 View attachment 7180 View attachment 7181
Thanks for the response and your saying I only have to worry about the drivers side cams when rotating them in to position and not the passengers?

Yes I wish I purchased the cam lock tool when I picked up my wrenches but I'll be installing the gears and belt today so I'll just have to do with out it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thanks for the response and your saying I only have to worry about the drivers side cams when rotating them in to position and not the passengers?

Yes I wish I purchased the cam lock tool when I picked up my wrenches but I'll be installing the gears and belt today so I'll just have to do with out it.

Yes that is correct! Passenger side cams just float freely when they are aligned.

LOL the subaru beat me again.

So any tips on getting the timing belt to stretch over the cam gears that thing is tighter then you know.

I'll probably end up wasting the 50 dollars on that cam lock tool as well thank you subaru for making things sketchy if you don't have speciality tolls. So that will be like 150 in special tools just to get the timing components put on.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
LOL the subaru beat me again.

So any tips on getting the timing belt to stretch over the cam gears that thing is tighter then you know.

I'll probably end up wasting the 50 dollars on that cam lock tool as well thank you subaru for making things sketchy if you don't have speciality tolls. So that will be like 150 in special tools just to get the timing components put on.

I don't remember having any problems doing this. Put the belt on with the tensioner completely removed from the engine. Also if you are reusing the old tensioner, before you install it, you have to compress the shaft in a vise and lock it in place with a grenade pin. Then once the belt is installed and the tensioner reinstalled, you would then remove the grenade pin. Give it several hours before you start the car to allow the tensioner to inflate and apply the appropriate pressure on the belt.

I don't remember having any problems doing this. Put the belt on with the tensioner completely removed from the engine. Also if you are reusing the old tensioner, before you install it, you have to compress the shaft in a vise and lock it in place with a grenade pin. Then once the belt is installed and the tensioner reinstalled, you would then remove the grenade pin. Give it several hours before you start the car to allow the tensioner to inflate and apply the appropriate pressure on the belt.
It's a new timing belt conoonents and water pump kit from gates so tensioner pin has never been pulled. I've got a few different methods to try that I got off a Facebook group so in sure I'll get it installed but I'm going to wait till I get the cam lock tool since I don't like how easily and violently the drivers side cam gears can slip.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's a new timing belt conoonents and water pump kit from gates so tensioner pin has never been pulled. I've got a few different methods to try that I got off a Facebook group so in sure I'll get it installed but I'm going to wait till I get the cam lock tool since I don't like how easily and violently the drivers side cam gears can slip.

Good call. it is why i bought mine!:tup:

i just leave all the pulley bolts a little loose then when all the marks are aligned i tighten everything up. iv never had to "stretch" the timing belt to fit over any cam or pulley

i just leave all the pulley bolts a little loose then when all the marks are aligned i tighten everything up. iv never had to "stretch" the timing belt to fit over any cam or pulley
Thanks for another method I'll be giving the timing belt instalation another go this Sunday and have numerous methods to try now.

So while laying in bed last night it dawned upon me that I didn't put the rear part of the timing cover on before insyalling the cam gears.

It's been a while since I disassembled the motor and if I recall you have to have the cam gears removed to put on that part of the timing belt cover.

The car is in my mother's garage so I just can't go look at it atm but I know this is going to bug me till I get an answer lol.

So do you have to have the gears removed when installing the rear part of the timing belt cover.

P.S. I love long term builds since I seem to get forgetful and make stupid mistakes like this at times.

the cam gears do have to be off to install the back piece of the cover. :tard:
LMAO I knew that but was hoping I was wrong. It's funny how stuff randomly comes to you at times. At least I haven't installed the timing belt yet then I'd be pissed.

Ok since there's mixed info on the Web about to urge specs on the cam gear bolts what do you guys torque yours out to? Or do you do the torque and turn certain degree method stated in the manual?

6a5c5b36012cdc88f442c60644049dea.jpg

Hopefully this tool helps with the build and thanks [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] for the quick delivery of the products.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
For the exhaust cam the manual says to torque to 72 ft/lbs. For the intake cam it is 22 ft/lbs and then another 45 degrees. :tup:

For the exhaust cam the manual says to torque to 72 ft/lbs. For the intake cam it is 22 ft/lbs and then another 45 degrees. :tup:
Thanks amd yeah that's what my manual says as well but I know people don't trust the turn 45 degrees at times and just prefer to torque them out to a certain pound

Ok I'm just being super anal and a bit paranoid but I want to make sure you guys agree the cam gears timing marks are lined up correctly.

baf3aaed2e5385ea34289211f025125d.jpg

d01ada20e3f61e0aaf22fa584aa6099b.jpg

3152a6b244a3acec59f9055b0e76e162.jpg

02d0e09b9b589a7174653d9416b88e3c.jpg

That's just the drivers side since the passengers side lined up perfect but the drivers side is so much fun to line up.