Car upgrades

NOLASTI

Hey I have been talking with Craig at Fast Tuning Products, big thanks to him, and I need to bounce some ideas off the forums!

Car: 2011 WRX STI Hatchback

Mods currently: (All Products from Perrin)
- Turbo Back Exhaust
- CAI
- Tune map from Perrin

Future Mods: (most parts from Perrin)
- Perrin Fuel Rail
- Perrin FMIC
- Perrin (Big Tube?) Headers Uppipe Combo
- Blouch XTR 3.0 from Perrin website
- Fuel Injectors 1000CC
- Deatschwerk Fuel Pump

Its gonna run me about 5 so I wanna know did I get the right supporting modifications, I like the turbo, did I overkill in the injectors? should I go Big Tube for the uppipe headers? Do I even need to upgrade Uppipe because I heard STI OEM up-pipes are pretty good already? Thanks a lot

NOLASTI

no reason Ive just used them before and they are mighty trustworthy. I will only use a Perrin FMIC but other parts are completely up to be changed, any recommendations for certain things?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The stock headers are actually pretty ok too. I dont know if the stock up-pipe is compatible with the perrin headers. Have you already done your research on EL vs UEL headers?

Looking at Perrin's description of the big tube headers, its meant for 500+ whp cars. I dont know if the turbo you selected will get you there (meaning im uninformed, not that im doubtful!), but if you're not looking for that much HP i'd stick to smaller piping.

If you ARE looking for that much power, you'll also want to get into building the block etc...

You may consider an EWG at this point, too. It'll help control boost, but I dont know how the IWG is on that specific turbo. An EBCS would be a worthwhile mod at this point as well.

I'd recommend an Intercooler upgrade. A big TMIC or at that point an FMIC might be advantageous.

Oh i found a FAQ you might be interested in:
http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?3306-So-I-have-a-stage-2-STi.-What-do-I-do-next

NOLASTI

Id have to get the turbo kit to get the whole deal with the rotated up-pipe, downpipe, external wastegate, bigger intake, and then to get the other stuff. I actually have another list of things I was looking at as an optional build.
Optional Build
---------------
- Fuel rails
- Fmic
- (Big Tube) EQL Headers
- GT3076R Rotated Turbo Kit
- Fuel Injectors 1000cc
- fuel pump
which brings me to about$ 6,7--
Do you think my optional build would be better because it is only about 1 grand more and it would have the external wastegate, etc.
And yes the perrin headers fit to OEM up-pipe

Grinder34

Track Monkey
IF it were me (it's not):

First, I'd pick my WHP target and spool target. Use that to pick a particular turbo.
I think the turbo will dictate everything else. But i'd try to stay TMIC if possible, due to space, cost, lag, etc...

NOLASTI

Im gonna go for 450awhp, the turbo can allegedly get me there. What is the cost behind it? install cost?

NOLASTI

Can I dumb down the turbo? get a smaller turbo? What does 400 awhp feel like in a STI. I drive a audi s4 and its kinda quick, and now I my weekend car.. my sti

Last edited:

Z1107

You gotta remember stock GRs are pushing 260ish to the wheels so that's a huge jump on top of the newly discovered 704 casting problems which are causing motors to pop around stage 2. These are really fussy motors and need to be reinforced.

NOLASTI

ok what If i run this for awhile and then build the engine in the summer, that would be 4 months of running as a weekend (not track) car, what if I did a 2.5 XTR blouch?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
400 AWHP is pretty quick! I would build the motor first, then add power. I know its a less "fun" way to do it, but its safer that way, and potentially cheaper if you were to blow something before you built it. If you WERE to do the turbo/upgrades first, i'd go with a very conservative tune. Dont go for the 400/500 awhp at 25 psi, etc.. But that'd require a re-tune once you build your motor.

What year is your car?

I think a 1.5xtr can get you to 400 awhp. The bigger the turbo, the more the lag! If you were to do the 2.5xtr, you'd have less power down low. If its a street car, you might miss the grunt you get around town. Maybe not. Talk to 35r (a member on here)...he's got a BIG turbo and sometimes complains about the spool. Speaking of 35r, he's got a big turbo without a built motor. You can do it, but you up your chances of something going wrong. That's not to say something wont go wrong with a built motor, but its just less likely.

You'll probably want the smallest turbo that can get you to your power goals, so that your power is as early as possible.

Anyways, you can probably rock 400 awhp with a TMIC. If you've got a 2008+ you probably wont even need a bigger IC, it just might help a bit more on hot days and track events. You'll definitely need injectors and a fuel pump. You may consider some heat insulation like a turbo blanket. If you go rotated, you have to get a kit or some custom tubing done. Vermont has the 1.5xtr on a 2008 with a stock location and stock IC.

NOLASTI

I have a 2011 WRX STI hatchback, it probably helps to tell you that I live in the city of new orleans so in the summer it gets to about 110 and in the winter it goes down to 30ish

Z1107

Depends on the damage. Most likely harder and certainly more expensive. Don't take this the wrong way but I checked your bio which says you're 17, and by the way you're forcing the power issue, I'm going to give one last piece of advice. Yes you're driving an s4 which is a powerful car, but is depending on the yr model 500-1000 lbs heavier and is set up completely different than a STi, try lightly modding your car over time and get a real appreciation for it, this includes suspension mods which are VERY important with power. A stock STi and 300hp one are night and day and that's only 40 hp. 400-450hp is a completely different car.

I'll let the other guys chime in for more and better specifics.

NOLASTI

Depends on the damage. Most likely harder and certainly more expensive. Don't take this the wrong way but I checked your bio which says you're 17, and by the way you're forcing the power issue, I'm going to give one last piece of advice. Yes you're driving an s4 which is a powerful car, but is depending on the yr model 500-1000 lbs heavier and is set up completely different than a STi, try lightly modding your car over time and get a real appreciation for it, this includes suspension mods which are VERY important with power. A stock STi and 300hp one are night and day and that's only 40 hp. 400-450hp is a completely different car.

I'll let the other guys chime in for more and better specifics.

You are right, I actually have been working this in over time and I think I will go over with your recommendation. Ill work slower on the mods and such.

so Should I get a 20g instead?

Z1107

Pm Lenny, Vermont, or Holy. They are pretty adept at turbo knowledge for specific goals. Your stock should be good to around 350.