clearing brembos

stiorbust

Hello there mi amigo.
I am about to pull the trigger on some rims from my main man Jordan but we are stuck on this one question of whether or not the rims will clear the brembos on my 08 sti. I am looking to pick up some 18x9.5 +25 offset. Will they interfere and if so what size spacer? Also, 255/35/18 should still be fine right? I know once i install coilovers in the spring and lower her that I will prob have to roll the fenders which is fine. Thanks as always. Best forum around

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
+25mm? WOW really aggressive!
Need to check the manufacturer for brembo clearance on your car. Offset is only part of the equation. Design of the hub and the spokes in proportion also dictate clearance.
I have +38mm and they clear fine. That offset I would say is about the limit without a roll on a mildly lowered GR. A bit a of camber to make it work without roll. It sits pretty frush with my coilovers.
+25 will require a roll and a pull on the rears with a lowered stance or maybe even on stock susp. Aggressive camber will also be needed. Fender liners will most likely need to be modded or done away with in the front.

Oh yea. 255 tire should be fine but will be a little stretched. You may need to stretch a smaller tire in order to get the flush look you want, at least that is what I am getting from your post?

Last edited:

stiorbust

I am told it should clear without any rolls but I do expect that once I lower it in the spring. Def not going for a hellaflush look. I am looking for a more aggressive stance. I love how those rims look. Then I wonder what size tire I should go with. I am not a fan of stretched tires at all. I will stuff as wide as a tire as nec. My subie gets driven like a subaru should so stretched tires would blow quickly. Jordan is waiting to hear back from the company rep to see if it will clear but i wanted to ask you guys also :) I wonder if flares are the answer then once I lower it. And, this may be a silly question but my car is 5x114.3 correct?

Stiyle11sedan

#1. What are the wheels that you are looking to put on your car?
#2. what is the year and model of your car?

With those two things you should be able to get the answers you are looking for. That being said I will say that is a REALLY aggressive offset, if you are looking to stay pretty meaty and go for aggressive stance you might want to look into something with a much higher offset. Anything above a +38 will most likely give you what you are looking for.

stiorbust

I was looking at enkei pkr and I have a 2008 sti. I def want space between the inner rim spokes and edge. I am very new when it comes to rims so I am learning as I go. I def want fat tires/rims that go to the very outer edge of the fenders. All info is appreciated.

Grant evohntr Sampson

stiorbust

I was looking at enkei pkr and I have a 2008 sti. I def want space between the inner rim spokes and edge. I am very new when it comes to rims so I am learning as I go. I def want fat tires/rims that go to the very outer edge of the fenders. All info is appreciated.

Grant evohntr Sampson

Grinder34

Track Monkey
That low of an offset will have your wheels looking very flush. Clearing brembos would not be as big a worry as not rubbing on fenders.

Stiyle11sedan

If you are looking for that meaty aggressive look then I would say go with at least a +38 or a +40 and run some 265/35 with the stock suspension you will be able to rock those without any issues and once you did coils you could just roll the rears and probably be good to go (depending on how low you wanted to go) The +25 is going to be a "hella flush" look because you are more than likely going to have to stretch a tire on that wheel, and run some pretty crazy camber...around the -4 to -5 area in the rear and probably -3.5 or so in the fronts. Also you may need a slight pull if you decide to not run that amount of camber.

stiorbust

5x114.3?
I found some rims with a 40 offset. And others with a 35. But going by your post I'm gonna go with the 40

Grant evohntr Sampson

stiorbust

5x114.3?
I found some rims with a 40 offset. And others with a 35. But going by your post I'm gonna go with the 40

Grant evohntr Sampson

Grinder34

Track Monkey
5x114.3?

Grant evohntr Sampson

what width wheel? Offest is not the only factor...a 40 offset on a 7.5" rim is very different from a 40 offset on a 10" rim.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Here's a visual of what an 18x9.5 +38mm wheel and 265/35-18 tire looks like on a GR.

Attachments

• STi..jpg
    STi..jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 206
  • STi rear.jpg
    STi rear.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149

stiorbust

Looks very nice and clean. Perfect placement in my eyes. You guys saved me on this one. I almost made a mistake by going with the +25 offset. The 18x9 with +40 should do just fine

Stiyle11sedan

They will but they definitely won't look as good as the 18's. IMO Also the different diameter may throw your speedo off a bit.

ICY STi

Just commenting to tag this thread. Sounds like alot of info that I'm going to need to look at when I get ready for my new shoes.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
They will but they definitely won't look as good as the 18's. IMO Also the different diameter may throw your speedo off a bit.

The wheel itself won't throw off your speedo, a different sized tire diameter would. You can run a 17 but would have to compensate with a different aspect ratio on the 17" vs. the 18".

Example:
225/45-17 tire has an overall diameter of 25".
225/45-18 tire has an overall diameter of 25.9"

225/50-17 tire has an overall diameter of 25.9"

So if you your car originally came with the 225/45-18 the speedo would/should be calibrated for that overall size of 25.9". If you were to change wheels to the 17" then you would have to use the 225/50-17 in order to keep the speedo reading accurately. Or as close to accurate as possible.

Also worth mentioning, is that there is no uniformity between tire manufacturers, or no adopted uniform standards or conformity. This means that one tire brands say, 225/45-17 may be a different size than another brands 225/45-17. For example, A Michelin, in the afore mentioned size, may be 25" but a Goodyear may be 25.4".
So what does all of this mean? It means that your speedometer may never be truly accurate, even from the get go. But small variations probably would be negligible and not much worry.

And we now go deeper into the rabbit hole :D

stiorbust

Here is the new tire that will be installed on the new 18x9+40 They are 265/35/18s. Some people say I will have to roll the fenders and others say no. Your thoughts ?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348460692800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348460692800.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 104