Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations

Grinder34

Track Monkey
A friend-of-a-friend is looking at replacing his clutch and flywheel (I'm not sure about the reasons). He asked specifically about a "South Bend Stage 2", which i've never heard of.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good clutch and flywheel(no, I dont know his power level at the moment). I'm sending him the link and hopefully he'll chime in here.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If it is stock level power then nothing more than stock is required or desired... IMO :tup:

For power you can't go wrong with the proven and time tested reliability and functionality of an ACT... IMO :tup:

And then for extreme power or drag use, the twin disk from Competition along with theie push type hydraulic throwout bearing is an awesome combination.

20130912_100539.jpg 20130912_100806.jpg

Last edited:

G-Weezy

Hi, I'm the friend of a friend.

The clutch I'm looking at is the FJK1000-HD-OFE (Stage 2 Endurance) found here -> http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/listings.cfm

I'm also considering replacing the stock flywheel with an ACT StreetLite flywheel while I'm at it.

The car ('11 STI) is currently putting down around 250 hp and 290 ft-lbs to the pavement (don't remember the exact numbers). It's my daily driver but I enjoy tracking it and doing some rallycross every now and then. The website shows the capacity of the clutch being way over what I currently require but that doesn't really concern me since it's an ongoing project car. I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used this clutch before (how do you like the feel? how long did it last?). I've seen some good reviews around the internet with only one horror story located thus far. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Hi, I'm the friend of a friend.

The clutch I'm looking at is the FJK1000-HD-OFE (Stage 2 Endurance) found here -> http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/listings.cfm

I'm also considering replacing the stock flywheel with an ACT StreetLite flywheel while I'm at it.

The car ('11 STI) is currently putting down around 250 hp and 290 ft-lbs to the pavement (don't remember the exact numbers). It's my daily driver but I enjoy tracking it and doing some rallycross every now and then. The website shows the capacity of the clutch being way over what I currently require but that doesn't really concern me since it's an ongoing project car. I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used this clutch before (how do you like the feel? how long did it last?). I've seen some good reviews around the internet with only one horror story located thus far. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Why bother replacing it at all right now? I assumed yours was old and all worn out. The stock unit should be fine at reasonable power levels even on the track.

G-Weezy

Why bother replacing it at all right now? I assumed yours was old and all worn out. The stock unit should be fine at reasonable power levels even on the track.

It's the pressure plate that appears to have gone bad. When operating the clutch pedal, it feels as though their is air in the hydraulic linkage (I replaced the master/slave cylinders and everything in between within the last year). I was tired of messing with it so I took it to a trusted mechanic to have him take a look. He bled they system and the pedal feels the same (no air in the system to begin with). Since there wasn't anything wrong w/ the hydraulics he said it has to be mechanical and a worn pressure plate was his best guess. Then he added that he wouldn't recommend replacing just the pressure plate.

I know my current power levels are well below what I'm looking at but I'm a fan of over-doing things (making it bullet-proof). Fine is ok, but unnecessary is great, lol.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
^cheers to that!

Welcome to the forum btw! Post a pic of the ride! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For power you can't go wrong with the proven and time tested reliability and functionality of an ACT... IMO :tup:

Because I like knowing things...what are some other brands? I like having a few options to research, and preferably a few at each price point. There are very few parts for the STI that seem to be a unanimous choice, even down to there being AP or Tactrix (at least two choices!), so what other ones make the short list at various price points?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I've been eyeballing the exedy stage 1 hd. It's either that or ACT. No real experience on this platform with anything but stock. But at my power level I'm sure the stocker won't be long for this world so I've planned for the two afore mentioned.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Because I like knowing things...what are some other brands? I like having a few options to research, and preferably a few at each price point. There are very few parts for the STI that seem to be a unanimous choice, even down to there being AP or Tactrix (at least two choices!), so what other ones make the short list at various price points?

Off the top of my head the ones that are known good quality and reliable are ACT, Exedy and Competition Clutch, Centerforce and Clutch Master. Other cheaper brands I have seen are Spec, XTD and Grip-force but they have mixed reviews. I've not heard of South Bend before. Other brands I know nothing about are Xtreme which seem nice, Hayes, Zoom and I'm sure there are others.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I really liked the way my Spec Stage III clutch felt, but then again it was installed for 9,000 miles, I didn't beat on it terribly and it's already fried. I just installed a Competition Clutch Stage IV. Food for thought.