Code Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open

SirMyztiq

I think I should make this a thread since my old one got kind of luck and this is a whole new topic. Recently my brother and I removed the intake manifold in order to replace a leaky intake manifold gasket. While in the process, we removed what I believe are the TGV motors. There was one on each side and when removed they left behind little gear looking things and the motors themselves had teeth. We removed them because they were getting in the way as we tried to remove the manifold. We had no idea what they were at the time. After we put them back together, there was a "intake manifold runner stuck open code" which went away after a couple of resets and restarts of the engine. It came back today! I think we might of put them in wrong but I can't find the proper way to install them. I hope its nothing too hard to fix and I do not want to take out the manifold again. How do we fix this!?

By the way, it is bank 2.

SirMyztiq

Just do a tgv delete and unckeck the codes!

Trust me, I considered that! But I do not feel like tearing the intake manifold again! Maybe down the road but for now I would rather fix the issue. If it's stuck open, I think I can just hide the code LOL

I'm sure it has something to do with the little motors we took off.

SirMyztiq

Your going to have to take the manifold off again. This is something that is very difficult. The flappers proabally werent positioned properly and are now eithe stuck full open are are still open when the car is trying to close them due to the motor being off a few teeth.

Really? I need to take off the manifold!? They are sitting right on top though on the driver's side, I figured we could just take off the intercooler to get to it. I read on some other forums that I just need to re-spring the teeth by rotating it as I'm putting it on there.

SirMyztiq

Not sure on that. You need tp see the flappers IOT position them properly. If theres a trick out there, I dont know it. I usually just remove the manifold, its a 20 minutes job, tops.

Well, online I found a way that didn't require taking off the manifold. You place the sensor motor at the 12 o'clock position then wind it up until the bolts line up and it goes past it just a bit then bolt it on. We did have to take off the intercooler though but that was small potatoes compared to the manifold.

Needless to say, the CEL went away and it is all groovy now...except for the power steering. When we removed the power steering pump we let air into the system. I'm stopping by NAPA tomorrow to buy a bleeding tool b/c we tried bleeding it and the stuff got everywhere and still had air bubbles.