Coilover questions.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What coilovers is everyone running? I'm looking into getting a set to replace my factory struts that doesn't break the bank, but performs well for street, track, and autocross. Please list your setup on what you have plus the pros and cons of your coilovers. Thank you.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What'd your budget?

I'd post mine up but the biggest con is they dont make them anymore.

Frankiev

i got fortune auto 500's for $1060 shipped the great part about them is you tell them exactly what your using them for in your case, street but also track and auto cross, they'll then set the spring rates to give you the best possible performance. They are hand made in the USA when you order. Hope this was helpful goodluck!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
i got fortune auto 500's for $1060 shipped the great part about them is you tell them exactly what your using them for in your case, street but also track and auto cross, they'll then set the spring rates to give you the best possible performance. They are hand made in the USA when you order. Hope this was helpful goodluck!

Thank you. How is the quality of them?

fomaGT

I am using KW v1's. I am very happy with them. More comfy than stock, ride height is adjustable, held up to Michigan winters/road salt, handling has improved, and I like them for autox. If you need to tweak compression and rebound, trailer your car, and seriously track your car you will want something more, but if you daily drive it like me it is very nice. Don't regret getting these at all.

Stiyle11sedan

I have the BC BR's and love them....and they won't break the bank at just under a grand!! Fit and finish were great though and had them on within two hours.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ground Control bases its shocks on the 8610 and 8611 Koni Insert. That's the same insert my setup uses, and I love them.
Although I did a quick search and I dont see anyone that sells them other than ground-control themselves...odd.

But with cheaper coils your damping adjustment is usually pretty sub-par, from what I remember of looking at shock dynos.

i have real coil overs i just put them on and now when i hit the breaks hard i here a clunk didn't do that before. i checked all the bolt they are all tight yet again the clunk is still there….. anythoughs maybe sway bars. those are stock. anyone else run into this problem??

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Just check and recheck all bolts.
I had a clunking issue when I did mine. Wound up being a not so snug strut top bolt.
Otherwise, I do get some popping from time to time, never consistent and usually when it's cold for a brief once or twice on a first drive of the day.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Personally JJ, I'm partial to springs and good shocks/struts. Are you open to that idea or strictly coilovers?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Guys this is an old thread. I have Feal Coilovers, lol.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hey no problem. I love my coilovers.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
check your endlinks too.

If you DID take them off, you might not've tightened them up properly.

If you DID NOT take them off, with a different ride height, they may not be happy with their old position and want to be adjusted somewhat.