Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilover Review

Eagleye

Tinkerer
This is the first part of a multi-part review for Cygnus Performance and specifically the X-1 Coilovers they sell.

First off, I messaged Cygnus around 10pm a few nights ago and the next day around 3pm I received a phone call from Geoff at Cygnus. He took 52 minutes to talk to me about options, give me background on different suspension setups for Subarus, and helped me zero in on the best package for my car and budget. I am not sure how long he would have continued to answer my questions and talk to me about the ins and outs, but I eventually felt I should let him go and thanked him for his time. He left such an impression on me that I ordered a set of Cygnus Perf. X-1 Comfort Coilovers the next day (I'm not including pricing as this can fluctuate over time, but if you go to their website you can find pricing info there) .

See specs below:
  • X1 Comfort Shocks (black)
  • Hyperco (silver) Spring Upgrade (neutral spring rate, they also offer a "comfort" rate)
  • Long Travel Option (allows for -1.3in drop to 0.3in lift)
  • Extended Rear Damper Adjustment (access damper control from trunk without having to remove seats)
  • I am reusing my existing top hats (this helps tremendously with NVH issues that most coilovers face)
The order process was very easy and I am anticipating them to show up in 3-4 weeks. Due to stimulus payments and maybe tax season, Geoff is seeing more orders than usual and is backed up. Typical build time is only around a week or so. I am in no rush at all so it works out well.

I will amend/add on below for additional stages of the review (unboxing, assembly and install, initial impressions, and long term thoughts).
Sample image below:

black-blue-12001.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm excited to read about your experience in the upcoming updates!

Karlot

dude just wait till you get them.

I have an 06 STi and got the x1-m (motorsports) with hyperco springs custom valved for the specific rates i wanted. as well as f/r camber plates. I put them on at the end of last year and like a week after install got lucky enough to get on track. i pulled time off every single run and i'm SURE that there's more time in the car. i dont even have them fully dialed in and they still outperform my old setup in EVERY way. Geoff was fantastic to work with and extremely helpful. you will not be disapointed with the product at all i can assure you of that.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
That is what I keep hearing. Mine will see mostly street duty for quite some time, but this just seemed like the perfect product to grow with. Glad to hear another positive experience. While there are cheaper options out there, I value expertise and people that have a passion for what they do/products they sell and will gladly pay a little more for it. Hopefully my order goes through in a reasonable amount of time, but I am prepared to wait for a bit as I know they are slammed.

Karlot

That is what I keep hearing. Mine will see mostly street duty for quite some time, but this just seemed like the perfect product to grow with. Glad to hear another positive experience. While there are cheaper options out there, I value expertise and people that have a passion for what they do/products they sell and will gladly pay a little more for it. Hopefully my order goes through in a reasonable amount of time, but I am prepared to wait for a bit as I know they are slammed.
the cheaper options not only dont offer Geoff's expertise, but the ones you got will be custom valved to the car/spring rates. This will create a much better ride and handling.

for example my old setup was 5k rear springs and 7k front springs. My cygnus coils are 9k front springs and 8k rear springs, and the cygnus coils actually ride smoother as well as handle better. I was absolutely blown away by how well they rode. These are my third set of coils on my car and dang i wish i had purchased these earlier.

I definitely plan to grow into these, and as i progress as a driver will upgrade and rebuild the cygnus set when the time comes. although i dont see that happening for a few years. you definitely made a great choice and you will absolutely be happy with them.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I was able to get the new suspension installed yesterday.

Only a 1-mile road test to check for noises and vibrations.

The adjustment was easy, and I have not touched the damping yet.

That will require a couple of hours of road test to pull off, adjust, drive, and repeat.

More info to come and an update to the original post at the top.

IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3437.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What ride height did you decide on?
With your OEM tophats do you have camber adjustment?
How many way adjustable are they?

I'm sure I have more questions than that, but for now I'll wait for more of the review!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What ride height did you decide on?
With your OEM tophats do you have camber adjustment?
How many way adjustable are they?

I'm sure I have more questions than that, but for now I'll wait for more of the review!
I'm not sure of the exact height, I typically go by feel. This is 2 fingers from tire to fender.
I do not have camber adjustment from above, just using the camber bolt in the top hole of the 2 attachment holes at the bottom.
You can adjust damping only with the X1 model but they are upgradeable to 2-way and 3-way in the future should I choose to.

I am hoping to get it out for a more in depth drive this weekend and will report back after! I think going for a high quality spring and a company that knows how to properly valve for your application is what makes the big difference.