decision making time, 2011, 2015 or 2016/17? sti

sti-rummble

Hi all I am looking for some input and possibly an answer to a question I have regarding the new 2.0L in the Type S thats now in japan. So I currently run a 2011 sti hatch with 290awhp/311awtq on current mods.

I recently put a down payment on the 2015 sti sport tech with the intention of selling my 2011 privately.
then i heard about the 2.0L that's already released in japan, i have looked on all the major forums and on Google to see if there is an expected release date for North America's market but can't find anything, so my question is if anyone has heard anything on that?

I suspect that we will have to wait until the end of 2015 maybe 2016 even because of other news i had heard about the body styling being closer to the WRX concept car.

So, keep my car and wait for the 2.0L, or go ahead with my original plan.. bleh

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
With the "revolutionary" change in motors for the sti, at least in japan anyways, i would personally say hold off to see what the 2016 models bring to the states. This should be a strong indicator that we will be seeing a 2.0 in the sti. Then again, usdm gets shafted every time.

Its a hard gamble at this point since its uncertain.

I wanna say we will be seeing a 2.0. (Im hoping at least! :lol: )

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The US often gets different engines. Even back in the day when they had the 2.0, we got the 2.5. I wouldnt bet on us getting the new 2.0, but who knows!

As for body styling, the later the model the better they usually look, at least I think so--and thats for most cars! The 2005 mustang was pretty, but the last iteration was awesome! The early GRs were good, but not as good as 2013. But the question is, do you really want to wait?!

sti-rummble

i am patient enough to wait, i just hope that it hit our market (relatively) soon. i decided to wait and see. thanks for the input! :)

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hasn't the JDM STi been a 2.0 motor for years?

Yes, the JDM STi has had a 2.0 with an equal length header and twin scroll turbo for quite some time now. EJ207 I believe.
The "new" 2.0 liter that the guys are talking about is the FA20, direct injected engine.

sti-rummble

Yes, the JDM STi has had a 2.0 with an equal length header and twin scroll turbo for quite some time now. EJ207 I believe.
The "new" 2.0 liter that the guys are talking about is the FA20, direct injected engine.

you are correct it was the engine used on the recent 24hr challenge at Nurburgring

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'd like to see the torque curve of a turbo FA20 engine. With that ridiculous 12.5:1 compression ratio, I imagine the low end of the powerband is significantly more powerful. (EJ257 compression: 8.2:1)