DierwulfBL's 2011 WRB STi - Reverse Build!

DierwulfBL

Hey guys, finally decided to put a journal together as I have been accumulating parts for my 2011 Sedan! I have a pic of the car around here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look for it :D. My plan for this car is to keep everything under warranty and OEM until I make the jump to fully built, hence why it is reverse built. Here's the things I've purchased so far

-17x8 +48 Gold Evo Corse Wheels, going to put all-seasons on these for the off months/RallyX

-"seized" EJ255 block - Buddy picked up a forester XT with a bad motor and replaced the short block, so I got this one for $150, unsure of what awaits on the insides but we could turn it over with a screwdriver on the flywheel

Plans:
-400whp on E85, ~350whp 93 Octane
-fully built, sleeved block, minor head work, possibly going with outfront motorsports fully closed deck, havent really made up my mind on anything just yet
-Turbo, Was looking into 20g XT but starting to think it may be too big for my power goals, I want lowest rpm spool but still able to hit my E85 goal without going out of the turbos efficiency range.
-EWG dumping into downpipe
-UEL headers to keep the grumble

I will add to the thread as I buy more and more stuff, my guest room at my house will never be the same again :lol:

DierwulfBL

Thanks for the kind responses!! I was looking at the DOM 2.5XT (I think this is the one they refer to as the polka pickle right?) along with 20g's, I got tons of time to decide on a turbo though as that won't be happening until the block is finished anyways. As far as overbuilding the block, can't go wrong doing it and if I ever decide to go rotated the block will be good to go. That's why it's a reverse build, I'm starting at fully built instead of blowing up my stock motor pushing it too hard then trying to piece together a block quickly to get it back on the road :)

gerwulf

You definately won't need a sleeved block for your power goals, and if you just have to have it sleeved, make sure you have a very experienced and reputable place do the work. A buddy of mine, his block was ruined by a bad sleeve job.

I'm a fan of 20G-XT's personally. :D

They'll spool just as fast as a regular 20G with the same hot side/ wheel.

This is a TD06 20GXT vs a TD06 20G

The blue is the 20GXT

Dont pay attention to the peak power as the XT is being choked by the stock intake and inter cooler.

graph.php

DierwulfBL

I will most likely have Turbo Time in Cary, NC do the build but I have lots of research to do still and even more time to do it in. My initial thoughts were to run 100.5mm bore and taking 1mm off the stock walls I figured were getting into thin territory. I have no idea what this block looks like but one of the valve guides was doneski and that valve was cracked (not sure if any of that got inside). Before we cracked it open it was told that it was just seized from rod knock, or at least thats what the dealer told the original owner. Basically I need to tear into the block I have and see what I'm workin with, if I could get away with a .5mm over bore to take care of any gouges then I might not go sleeved, just coated 100mm pistons, some good rods and stock nitrated crank blueprinted and balanced. The nice thing will be if I take out the stock low mileage block before it is grenaded the crank and rods can be resold (maybe pistons too) to recoup some costs and then ill have a fresh ej257 block to sleeve if I want to go rotated. Over engineering is never bad though, if I build the block for 600whp and run 400whp on E85 I figure it should last a bit longer than if I cut corners and have it built for 400whp.

On another note I washed and waxed the car today and wouldn't you know just as I finish off the wax job it rains for the first time in months. I remember why I had put this off for so long as washing and waxing let me know just how crappy the paint is, even have a rock chip on the edge of the hood thats starting to rust. Anyone got the link to the WRB touch up paint pen? :)

DierwulfBL

As I delve deeper and deeper into the research, I'm making more and more decisions. Here is a short "Mod List" that I know will be needed for my power goals, if anyone has something for sale off my list let me know :tup:

-DOM 1.5XTR (possible coatings, still deciding on 8cm2 vs 10cm2)
-DW 1300cc injectors
-DW 300lph pump
-APS 70mm CAI
-APS turbo inlet
-Catless 3" DP EWG routed back in
-Catless 3" CBE
-GT Spec UEL headers
-EWG UP
-44mm Tial Wastegate
-450wtq clutch (I like spec clutches, but ACT twin disk looks nice too)
-Lightweight flywheel/pulleys (possibly, I kind of like the driveability of the stock setup)
-GrimmSpeed AOS
-GrimmSpeed EBCS
-TGV Deletes (maybe)
-93/E85 tunes
-Built Block, still doing research as to what all I want in it :)

That's the shortlist of everything I think I'll need, If I've obviously neglected something lemme know so I can add it as I'm gonna use this list as a sort of checklist of stuff I need to buy over time. I'm trying to stay away from (laggy)FMICs and expensive TMICs but a WTA TMIC is most likely the way i'll go on that **cough cough Fuji cough cough**:tard:. I will continue to update with purchases I make

DierwulfBL

Some small updates:

Got a used OEM Short shifter 166 shipped
BNIB HKS SSQV- 90 shipped (need flange and BP kit)
BNIB Megan 3" bellmouth DP - 150 picked up

headed to an 8th mile with coworkers tomorrow night ill post up my slow times!!! First time ever drag racing and ive never launched the car or any awd car for that matter. Benson, NC if anyone close wants to watch a n00b launch.

Some small updates:

Got a used OEM Short shifter 166 shipped
BNIB HKS SSQV- 90 shipped (need flange and BP kit)
BNIB Megan 3" bellmouth DP - 150 picked up

headed to an 8th mile with coworkers tomorrow night ill post up my slow times!!! First time ever drag racing and ive never launched the car or any awd car for that matter. Benson, NC if anyone close wants to watch a n00b launch.

Please take a video. Whenever I make it down to the track I will be in the same boat. :lol:

DierwulfBL

Haven't updated in a while. Got my BOV Flange and recirc tip for the HKS!!!

Track results, 1/8th mile:

9.02s@76.7mph
60' = 1.98s

We only got 1 run because they were doing some super 8 shootout or something. First and only pass at a drag strip, I know the 60' Could be shaved into the 1.6s but is that about right for a bone stock STI? Good? Bad? Mediocre? Anyone have a slip with stock power levels with those numbers at the 8th mark and can extrapolate my 1/4 time? :-D

Eagleye

Tinkerer
That isn't bad for the 60ft. Work at launching the car and that will go a long way. A good racer will quickly be able to tell the difference between tenths and eventually hundredths all based on the launch.

DierwulfBL

Yea, I rubbed the clutch too much, but I went there hoping to break 2s 60' and with only one pass I did that so I was pretty pleased, but yea after some practice launching sub 1.8 shouldnt be an issue, I think i woulda got there if I had more runs. That was the first time ever launching this car as well, so itll be a learning process. was keeping revs around 5.5-6k when clutch engaged full throttle and lots of slipping, by the time the clutch was out I was at 4-4.5k in 1st

DierwulfBL

That's a great question Fuji, my guess is whatever they set it at the dealer when they sold me the car minus anything that mightve escape in the last 11.2k, and the TPMS light isnt on :tard:. I'm not much into drag so it was more of just a fun way to spend a night after work and actually run the car hard without worries of red and blue. For a good launch im guessing tire pressures should be around 25psi?

DierwulfBL

This was at Dunn-Benson, on a thursday night test and tune, next time I'll bring a bike pump and let some air out, what day does fayetteville do test and tune?

DierwulfBL

You goin out this sunday? I wouldn't mind running a full quarter and fayetteville is only about an hour away. Also you can give me some pointers :), plus I wanna see your build/possible ride along.

DierwulfBL

Some updates:

Purchased the following:

6spd KB Short shifter(USED) + front stay bushings(USED) + rear stay bushings (NEW) for $100 shipped
AMR Big MAF Cold Air Intake USED 5k miles = $75 shipped

Will be hittin up Fayetteville Motorsports Park tomorrow, gettin there about noon for Test and Tune. If anyone else is goin hit me up, four 3 four - 9 zero 6 - eight 1 eight 0

My goals for the day will be 1.6xx/1.7low 60' and sub 14s

DierwulfBL

Quarter Mile results are in!!!

Current Mods:
K&N drop-in replaced really dirty OEM filter
Weight Reduction - 3/4 tank of 93 :lol:

Current Anti-Mod:
2nd time launching the car
1st time down the 1/4 mile!

Best Run:
60' = 1.8769
8th = 8.6460@79.53
4th = 13.6556@98.04

Best Trap:
13.6982@100.11 -- 2.06 60'

I got 7 runs in and didn't lose a single race!!! Saw 2 other STIs out there, told em about the forums. Beat a new 2011 5.0 Mustang. Both STIs needed a tune real bad, one had a twin scroll Borg Warner 300 and his best run was 12.9s and he was claiming 420whp. Other guy had the "biggest turbo available" which was a stock location smaller than a dom 3, but he bought his car like that about a month ago his best was 13.4 and I raced him a lot, he was launching at 3500 so I was beating him with reaction time by the end of the quarter :).

I started feeling the heat soak after multiple back to back runs but that shouldnt affect my 60fts too much and I was having the hardest time getting those down. I kept the tires at stock pressure but I'm pretty sure I wasnt spinning any so that shouldnt matter, launches were fluttering around 5k rpm once engagement it got full gas. Some launches felt really good but only yielded 1.90-1.93.

All in all I had a blast and met some cool military guys with STIs, feel like I got some good baseline runs in, time to go stage 2 and retest :tard:

DierwulfBL

WOT was blowing black smoke (rich) and he said it was just dumping fuel at the line one run and he stalled, and his runs were really inconsistent, when I raced him he went 14.75@99.76 and I went 13.89@98. Oh yea he also said he most likely needed a tune :)

DierwulfBL

hahaha i didn't peep out all his stickers I remember seeing a dakine sticker but its a 04/05 stock wheels painted black, but yea his rear spoiler was in pretty bad shape paintwise and I remember him saying the BOV was a source of a leak around 19psi, but if its opening at idle then he's got bigger issues it seems :shock:. The other STi said he saw STI Medic at a gas station and he told em about the forums, he didn't seem to know about all the mods on his car(06/07 WRB) and I couldn't determine what turbo it was just from lookin at it, hopefully he gets on here and you can point him in the right direction of a tune cause that thing shoulda been trappin decent numbers and he didnt know about any tune on it, so it may be untuned completely :shock: