Do I need a Tune for an intake?

NP_Wagon_Chick

Hi :)

Noob question... I got an intake from Perrin about a year ago and was told by Perrin (They are literally 5 minutes from my house) that I did not need a tune if all I was adding was the intake, and no other mods. So I have been running this intake for a while and recently started having issues with my car cutting out around 3200-4,000 RPM when under a load and called the local COBB guys to make an appointment to have it checked out.. Long story short, they said I needed a tune for my intake and that There really is no proof one way or another if that is true, but it goes against everything they know about STI's (New mod = new tune).

Thoughts? So far, two shops say two different things. I will likely end up getting a tune because I think my stumbling issue is the Fuel regulator and our awesome winter gas, but what are your thoughts on whether a tune is needed for just an intake?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What size intake did you get from Perrin?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The only thing that has me question Cobbs's take on it is that it was running fine and now it's not. That suggests some other issue to me.

NP_Wagon_Chick

I purchased the only intake they had for the 2011 Sti. I Wasn't aware there were sizes?

I think my current issue has to involve the fuel, but as we were talking about why I wanted to make an appointment COBB told me I should have had a tune for my intake, which I had been told opposite. I thought the two opposing opinions were interesting..

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Its always detrimental that you get a tune whenever something to the engine is alterred. There have been false statements made by a few of these intake companies that at first stated the car does no require a tune, only later to find out the company has changed that statement.

But youve had the intake on for about a year and had no issues up until now.. What variable has changed recently?

NP_Wagon_Chick

As far as the cutting out/stumble issue, it has done it since I got the car (at 15k miles) but it wasn't very noticeable. It has gotten worse over the last few months which I assume has more to do with the fueling system ?

I just thought it was interesting that I was told over and over i did not need a tune for just an intake, only to call another place today and be asked specifically if it was tuned for it. - they only asked so they knew what was done to my car. - Then I felt like a dummy when I said no!

NP_Wagon_Chick

Thank you, that is very helpful. I have an appointment at COBB Surgeline in Portland this weekend where I hope they can help my car run a lot better, without talking me into too much unnecessary nonsense..

blee2666

You need a tune. I had a 07 STI and had a KN intake with no tune. Drove it for about 6 months and told that it was running very lean. Checked around and you really should get a tune. Cobb on supports AEM and cobb intakes so I sold my KN on craigslist Traded my 07 for a 13 STI and got a Cobb intake and a Grimm Speed EBCS. Went with a OTS stage 1 tune for about a month before getting a DP and going stage 2 and protune. 292 at wheels and 360 torque after tune.

NP_Wagon_Chick

OK, thank you! That is probably not helping my car then. :) Along with the crappy gas around here and my "stumble". I feel like I am tuning my Banshee all over again, but 10X's the cost!