Do strut bars work?

Awdrex

So I got the rear strut bar installed and did some test. I will never install that again, lol. More information coming soon.
4563d9b4-0c18-9b41.jpg

I thought it shouldn't be such a tight fit?

Anyway, anyone know if your supposed to tighten everything (strut bar) with the car jacked up(unweighted) or on the ground?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would not recommend doing it with the car in the air. You want the suspension to be loaded and on the ground.

Last edited:

Awdrex

After installing the rear strut bar I now hear the sound of birds chirping mainly when I turn. This can't be normal so I'm going to loosen everything and tighten it on the ground to see if that helps.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Take the bar completely out and see if you get the noise on a test run. Then leave car on ground and check mounts first to make sure they are tight. Then reinstall bar and make sure its centered then tighten again and retest.

Undecisive

My opinion on these, for the 350-400 dollars you spend on them, you're almost halfway to a set of BC coilovers. IMO coilovers + sway bars are the best suspension mods that you can get for your money. If you already have coilovers on your car I doubt you'll notice a difference with the strut bars. Now if you're on stock struts with aftermarket springs, I think you'll feel a noticeable difference. And if you're on stock suspension all together then it will be more of an improvement. I just don't see the point in having these when you have coilovers and sways other than the looks factor.

Awdrex

So the strut bar is off, and the amp wall I down to eliminate, possibilities and still chirping. So I jacked up the car and left rear wheel has play when wiggled.

Wheel bearing? No grinding noise.

Ball joint?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First post updated. Data coming soon.

Z1107

So the strut bar is off, and the amp wall I down to eliminate, possibilities and still chirping. So I jacked up the car and left rear wheel has play when wiggled.

Wheel bearing? No grinding noise.

Ball joint?

Had the same problem with driver front side and it was the wheel bearing.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
JJ any updates?

So the rear i can see making a difference. Just look at the "why the gd needs an x brace" thread, but im less convinced about the front. The bar runs basically along the firewall, so it doesnt seem like it can provide much extra rigidity.

Does anyone on here have access to a strain gauge? someone with a fmic (for logistical purposes) could run a cable between the strut towers and put the gauge on the cable. That'd show you if there was even much movement between the two. Then install one of the braces and see if the strain significantly decreased. That'd certainly be more conclusive than a skidpad test that has a bunch of other variables, not the least of which is your phone's accelerometer.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I haven't got to finish my testing, but going to do that this coming month! I totally forget about this.

Z1107

If your on struts you will feel a slight but noticeable difference, but not significant.

!WARNING! This poster is not liable for any person being butthurt by comments. Protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act for being somewhat retarded! ;)

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Ok, just making sure. I do think it's time to pick up some sway bars though. Seems like Whiteline is what everyone gets, but that's a different post, I think.

Z1107

My hotchkiss kit is awesome!

!WARNING! This poster is not liable for any person being butthurt by comments. Protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act for being somewhat retarded! ;)

icudruln

I can't see any difference being made in a front strut bar on our cars. When it comes to the rear, possibly yes. I installed the Litespeed Chassis Bridge, and I noticed a significant difference. Adding a rear strut bar would essentially be creating an X Brace.

STimedic

I can't see any difference being made in a front strut bar on our cars. When it comes to the rear, possibly yes. I installed the Litespeed Chassis Bridge, and I noticed a significant difference. Adding a rear strut bar would essentially be creating an X Brace.

I don't know of a better way of putting it.....but a simple strut bar is NOT an X-brace unless you have the Cusco V-brace added onto their OS rear strut bar...that's the closest you can get to a strut bar being an x-brace.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
a chassis bridge is virtually as good as an x-brace. The only situation that the chassis-bridge would suffer in, compared to the x-brace, is if the tops of both strut towers were to collapse towards the center of the car at the same time. The only time i can really think of that happening is on a large impact, such as landing from a jump.

But i think the front strut bar = worthless.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I, by no means, am an expert when it comes to suspension. I have generic front and rear strut bars. I also have a generic underbody h-brace. Now I did two tests; one before the install and one after the install. I don't have any data to back me up in regards to cornering, but I noticed a huge difference in body roll. I have very little body roll now. (only notice when I take VERY hard, abrupt turns)

Not trying to revive an old thread, but are they really that useless? My car came with a Cusco front strut bar. I sold it for $150 and bought all 3 bars that I have now for the same price.

ALL input, if any, is much appreciated. :tup: