DP temperature

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have thought about it! Does that count?

I need to take the DP out to get a better product otherwise it keeps coming out looking like a bag of smashed assholes.
Other things warrant a priority. New baby is due in a month so lots of priorities are shifting.
I hope to revisit this prior to summer.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I was always under the impression that wrapping your DP doesn't do a lot of good because
you want the hot, fast moving exhaust to cool as rapidly as possible after the turbo, thereby
increasing the pressure difference across the turbo and improving spool. I know some guys
that have everything wrapped up, sometimes also wrap the downpipe out to about 18" from the
turbo and then leave the rest open. The brief wrap is just to keep DP heat away from the engine
bay and then cut the wrap short so the remainder of the DP cools quickly.

Just my $0.02. Someone with a better understanding of thermo and fluid dynamics can probably
expand on this.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm not wrapping the whole pipe, only the bell mouth and shortly down from there. Plus the hot side and/or heat shield.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Looks good so far :tup:

Thanks!

Though, this is a test and it's ghetto, IMO.
Results are fantastic. Underhood temps are way down and engine/turbo response is better. My temp gauge hands and butt dyno don't lie. Lol
She seems more responsive after sitting idle so I'm sure the TMIC is not baking as much as before.
I have the material picked out for a more aesthetically pleasing and final products.
I need to get my hands on a blown/used VF series turbo, old up pipe, and aftermarket DP for a bench mockup and template. Maybe even headers.
If I can get those I'll be able to rock and roll, quickly.