ECU

Blue Tech

Cobb Accessport, AEM EMS, HKS, Greddy, etc, there are lots of options for flashes, piggy backs and stand alones. What are the goods and bads of the product you are currently working with? I read that the Cobb Accessport has diaognostic capabilities but does it work as well as a brand name code reader/deleter?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
With the current advancements with RomRaider and Cobb AccessTuner Race. There is never a reason to go with a stand alone ECU anymore. The best bet for anyone is OpenSource, But be prepared to put in you time with that. The AP is usually the way to go if you want out of the box gratification and convenience but be prepared to shell out more cash

The only thing the Cobb can do diagnostically is reset codes and monitor PID's. It can only be used with it's own software. Whereas OpenSource (Tactrix) does the same thing but it can also be used with a wide variety of OBDII scanner software.

Both are a reflash solution and use the stock ECU. I would avoid any piggy back system like the plague. These systems intercept the signals to and from the ECU and alter them to manage fuel and timing. These systems are the sledge hammer approach to tuning and if you are anal like me you will do well to stay away from them. The piggyback systems don't handle closed loop very well because the ECU is constantly fighting to fix what the piggyback is fucking with. When in open loop there is not correction from the ECU so the piggy back works fine in these situations. Plus it is not at all worth the price and for the same money or less you can get a Cobb AP. or save your self a boat load and buy a Tactrix.

The stand alone EMS's are really good solutions for the race track because these systems focus on performance in their logic and remove allot of the fluff and emissions oriented shit the OEM ECU has. These systems are complex yet simple in design. They simply manage fuel, timing and boost so you don't have to worry about to many tables to adjust. They also have other built in features like two step rev limiters and anti lag control and nitrous control, launch controls and FFS and a myriad of programmable inputs and outputs. The downfall is there are not as many tuners available like there are for Cobb or OS. When finding a tuner for these kinds of systems you almost want to look for the guys who know the particular EMS and not necessarily Subaru. But knowing the car is important also.

Rek has a writeup on engine management in the tech forums. It's a good read if you get a change.:tup:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
That last 5% that need something like a hydra or an AEM are doing crazy things like anti-lag, running 8 injectors, NOS, ecu controlled meth, and some other things. The 08+ hydra is actually a piggyback system IIRC, not an actual stand alone. The best part about retaining your stock ecu: passing emissions tests. Personally, I'll be sticking with the stock ECU until I find something that I can no longer do with it.

Make that about 2% ;)

Anti-lag, ecu controlled meth (and on the fly E85 / gas control), map switching and some other goodies coming the next couple of months. Merp's been doing some awesome work.

Plus with me on here, you know that I've tried all the crazy experimental shit on my ECU before most people have to ;)

Td_d

Commander In Chief
The 6 cylinder control would be an interesting one - I've been disassembling a whole bunch of H6 roms (including a recent 3.6l - interesting AVCS tables), and whilst the logic is tailored to the 6 cylinders, it's not fundamentally different to the H4 roms. Big challenge I would see is that all the H6 roms are NA - so all the boost related logic is stripped out (wastegate, TD, etc.).

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Thinking about it, you'd probably want to use an EBCS as opposed to the stock boost control in any case - so with no need for that logic, would be totally doable. ACVS and AVLS control, etc. all stock on the roms in any case.