engine blowby... how much is to much?

TurboDave

So just recently I had some issues with the engine it has 29k on it now, I do have a grimmspeed AOS which I found out was crap. So just temporarily I ran the hose that is supposed to go to the intake but routed it to a can to catch the oil to see how much was going into it. And after a hard 15 minute run to clear the oil from the intake ect ect. I was kinda surprised to see about 3oz to 4oz of oil in the bottom of the can that I put in. But before that I changed the engine oil and filter to see if there was any signs of water or whatever, and there was not...thank god. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point

Mods: so everyone knows

Cobb sf w/air box
perrin turbo inlet hose
stage 2 93oct 19psi
tomie headers EL with the uppipe
grimmspeed AOS = crap
invidia catted DP
ultimate racing cat-back

thanks Dave

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So you did one run and there was a bunch of oil, and a second run and there was none?

3-4 oz in 15 min is a lot. But perhaps it was the leftovers in the line that got blown out? I'm not an expert but I'd say keep monitoring often and report back.

Do you have the means to do a compression and/or leakdown test?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What oil and what weight? Some oils have a tendency to cause more blow bye than others (Mobil 1 for ex.)

Hard driving will usually make you tend to consume more oil on forced induction.

I only see that amount in about 4 months or around 3k miles.

What Grinder said, keep a very close eye on it, daily, and see if it stabilizes. Let us know.

TurboDave

So you did one run and there was a bunch of oil, and a second run and there was none?

3-4 oz in 15 min is a lot. But perhaps it was the leftovers in the line that got blown out? I'm not an expert but I'd say keep monitoring often and report back.

Do you have the means to do a compression and/or leakdown test?

Well If it were the rings it would blow out smoke all the time especially at first start up, but since I've changed things it don't smoke at all and it runs very smooth. And as for the oil I do use Mobil 1 5W30 as it says to run.... What do you guys run, I think I could run a heavier grade of oil since I am in a very warm climate here. But for now I think I'm going to blow out the tubes to see if there are any obstructions keeping it from venting properly. Thinking about it now I think there was only 2oz but I was hitting the panic button. I do think there was some blockage when I had that AOS routed the way grimmspeed wants it ran.."leftover oil" as you mentioned and when it went into boost it sucked it right into the intake and was smoking like hell.

TurboDave

What oil and what weight? Some oils have a tendency to cause more blow bye than others (Mobil 1 for ex.)

Hard driving will usually make you tend to consume more oil on forced induction.

I only see that amount in about 4 months or around 3k miles.

What Grinder said, keep a very close eye on it, daily, and see if it stabilizes. Let us know.

I do use Mobile 1 5W30.... Did you guys have problems with this particular oil

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have a problem with Mobil 1 in forced induction environments. Both of my turbo vehicles showed excessive oil consumption/blow bye with Mobil products. I have heard anecdotal evidence that Mobil has caused bearing failures in Subaru engines.
I have seen it first hand in some supercharged vehicles where failure has occurred and Mobil being used and Mobil being the culprit.
For your average daily commuter, I have no problems with it

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
No better time than the present time!
I dunno what they are running for Amsoil? I'm still on Rotella. Maybe they can chime in on their preferences if that's how you wanna go.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I run Amsoil Dominator 10W-30.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Is this a stock motor? If stock then 5w-30 or 10w-30. If it is a built motor then 10w-40. If you are worried about your motor popping I suggest you go get yourslef a compression test and a boost leak test and then go get it professionally tuned if it passes. It is a great investment for piece of mind :thumbup:

TurboDave

Is this a stock motor? If stock then 5w-30 or 10w-30. If it is a built motor then 10w-40. If you are worried about your motor popping I suggest you go get yourslef a compression test and a boost leak test and then go get it professionally tuned if it passes. It is a great investment for piece of mind :thumbup:

Yeah its just stock internals, I'm going to send a sample of my oil out to polaris labs to get it tested to see if there is anything i should worry about. I used those guys before on previous rice burners of mine and its amazing what they could tell you. I got to change the plugs very soon anyways so i will do the compression test then and then the following month get it tuned.

But thanks for your input its appreciated

Oh i almost forgot do you know what the compression is to be in these motors

Thanks Dave

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have seen it be anything from 165 psi down to 113 psi. As long as all the cylinders are all the same or similar you should be fine. The test should be done on a warm engine with all spark plugs removed, and the break booster vacuum line removed.