Engine mystery Need Help

Flyerdena

Hi everyone I recently purchase a 2004 subaru wrx sti in November with 139k miles one it. Well just last month I was driving the car and all of a sudden while in neutral it stalled out. When I cranked it back up the rpms were fluctuating like crazy(rpms:400-1500,1500-0,0-400) and so on it was jumping all over the place. The car has also been eating a lot of oil lately and when I say a lot I MEAN a lot.And I only see smoke come when I punch it. Took the oil cap off and see some oil spurting out. I have not done a leak down test but and just trying to get a opinion from you guys. I do feel as if my car isnt pulling as hard turbo wise. Any info helps and thanks for reading.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How much is a lot?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What mods are done to the car?
Any out of the ordinary noises prior to this event or when the event is happening?
What color is the smoke?
By squirting out, do you mean that when you pull the cap off oil is physically spraying from the filler port?

Flyerdena

Before it started happening the motor purred didn't hear a single sound. Now a hear a squeaking sound now and then. Mods are 3inch dp with high flow cat, perrin turbo inlet, tune 18 lbs of boost, coil overs, front and rear sway bars. The smoke is white but had someone stand behind the car and said he smelled oil. And when you take the dipstick out you can hear gurgling and when you take the cap off where you put oil you see some oil jumping up while running. Like rain drop size really tiny.

Flyerdena

It has eating more oil I just bought 5qtz the other week put it in and havent had a problem since. No smoke out the back or anything. Just the rpms fluctuate but no where near as bad as before. It would drop to zero when it first started happening now it just gos to 400-1000

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I think the first thing you need to do is a compression check. I would start there.

Anyway you can do that on your own?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have never done one. Will prolly have to contact my friend and do one tomorrow morning

That is a great place to start. Then we can go from there.

Flyerdena

I was gunna do one and had several mechanics look at it and say that it has to be the rings. But they did not do a compression test this was just assumption.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I was gunna do one and had several mechanics look at it and say that it has to be the rings. But they did not do a compression test this was just assumption.

We don't want to guess at that. We just want the hard cold facts. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As suggested please have a compression test done. That is first priority IMO.

Flyerdena

Hey guys sorry it took so long to do the compression test. Well I have good news. It doesnt seem like it is the rings. Compression was:145,151,152,155. Any ideas of what else can be the problem? And we also changed the spark plugs with oem ones. They looked like some one took a dump on them lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Check fuel and spark delivery. Run a diagnostic scan on the ecu to see of anything pops up.

I.E.
Check plugs, you did. but make sure the gap is proper.
Check coil packs
Check all the wiring to and fro.
Check pump output
Check filter
Check fuel rails
Check fuel pressure
Check injectors
Check fuel hoses
Check air filter
Check MAF sensor, wiring and maybe give it a shot of MAF cleaner. (AND ONLY MAF CLEANER) Sometimes the probe can become dirty, especially when oiled filters are used (like K&N)
Check, remove and clean throttle body.
Check and clean IAC (idle air control valve) These can get funky and cause idle issues, even dying.

Check for vacuum/boost leaks. Check all of the rubber hoses and connections.

As for the oil usage? Your either burning it or leaking it. There is no reason to lose that much oil in that short of time. Leaks would be obvious but look for them. Compression test may have passed but don't forget that oil may be leaking from the turbo.

Do all of the visual checks and then move to the more involved checks. You might get lucky and stumble on a broken connecter, etc.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For oil leaks, also dont forget the drain plug and oil filter. I know it sounds silly, but I had my drain plug work its way "loose" (just enough to lose oil slowly) and so did Vermont recently. Its a noob mistake that can happen to anyone.

Flyerdena

Ya I was going to try and check those tomorrow morning. When I have the time. Everything with the spark plugs and coil packs were checked and are working fine and all of the spark plugs were checked for their gaps before we put them in. What you described the IAC does is what is happening to me. We changed the plugs yesterday and all of a sudden the car started idleing funny again and dieing for now reason. It stalled and I was like I know I did not just stall like a noob. It will literally die while coming to a light.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm going to suggest a vacuum or boost leak as the possible reason for your drivability issues and I'm going to make a guess and say your oil issues are turbo related.

It would be really good if you can take some logs of just driving around town and stuff. Do you have the ability to log? You would be surprised what a simple log could tell us.

Flyerdena

I was planning on doing a log actually and after see that it wasnt the rings. My attention was more drawn to a turbo related issue as a possibility. My oil is also pretty BLACK.