Engine randomly dying? Need help

Scooby STIle

Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, so mods, move it if it is please :roll:

-2004 Sti-
Ok so, my engine started having this problem a while ago, where I would be driving on the streets and my gas pedal would become 100% unresponsive, my rpm's would slowly drop, and once they got low enough, the engine would die and wouldnt start back up.
I wait about 5~10 minutes, and try cranking it up again, it runs for a minute or two. Seems fine idling, so I attempt to drive again and the car dies again.

I got the car towed back to my house, and went digging around my engine bay.
Pulled the maf and gave it a through cleaning, checked my grounds, vacuum lines seemed ok from what I can see, cleaned and tightened battery connections, did an oil change, changed spark plugs, replaced my belts, and gave my baby a seafoam treatment.

Engine will idle fine now. Did a few test runs a street over, so as to not have my closest neighbors hate me for my loud exhaust.
Car runs fine for a bit, then as im turning into my street, the problem happens again. Pedal is unresponsive, and engine dies and rpm's dropped.

Any ideas as to what this could be?
I had a friend of mine tell me its possibly my maf thats bad.
Someone else told me its my crank sensor.

Help with this please, and any methods of testing anything I possibly could would be great!:tup:

P.s. I do have a problem with my power steering right now too. Not sure if its relevant in whats happening, but i'm sure i have air in the system because the power steering will disappear at random while driving and has that notorious whining sound.

Thanks in advance

~Jonathan

Last edited:

Scooby STIle

The battery is fine. & the car will start up fine, it happens once i start driving. I dont think it would be the alternator seeing as my battery stays charged.
I need to get a scan tool so I can check for codes [sadly, i dont have one, and i dont want to risk driving the car to a shop only to get stranded on the side of the road again.]
Still havnt done a compression check. Any links as to how I can make a tool to do this?
& how would I be able to check my iacv?
ugh, this is frustrating me.lol.

ZachTTLM

Def. get us CEL codes this will help us out alot. Most Auto parts as Reks said have loner sets that you can borrow to read it.