Exhaust leak signs?

06STI360

Hey guys, so I just went stg 2 over the weekend and I think I may have an exhaust leak. Its hard to tell if I do or not, I can't feel anything coming out of the DP to MP flange or the MP to AB flange but it I can hear a faint tick tick tick when the car is idling. I don't know if its just the thinner/free flowing DP that I am hearing or what. When I get on it to make a pull or pass on the freeway I get that "hey I don't have any cats" smell in the cabin. I torqued the DP down to spec and I really don't feel like taking off the TMIC and heatshield just to check, any ideas?

06STI360

I know there aren't very many of us on here but Im impatient so Im gonna give er a bump.. ideas? easy ways to check for a leak?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes there is sorry I was busy. You take a bottle of warm water and soap and mix them in a spray bottle. Make sure the car is cold before you start it up and spray the area you think has a leak. If you see the bubbles moving right after you start it then you have a leak. Did you use a exhaust sealer with your gaskets?

06STI360

I didn't put any sealer on the bellmouth gasket since it said it was only good too 600 degrees intermitent. I just have a gasket in the middle with no sealer and no gasket only sealer in the axle portion since I couldn't get my hands on one(I know this isn't leaking). Im 90% sure the DP is just louder and im just hearing more but Im gonna take off the DP to MP connection tonight and put some RTV on it just to be safe. When I open the hood while its running I don't smell any exhaust so I don't think its leaking at the turbo.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
See I have a garage and 3 racks and did mine in the air and put a orange gasket sealer to make it all nice and tight. You just wanna make sure nothing is leaking cause that will cost you power.

06STI360

Yeah, I will just unbolt the DP to MP connection and put some RTV in there, I have a hard time believing it could be at the turbo since I tqd everything down to specs. Hopefully not that thing is a pain in the ass to get too.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well check it first before you take it off.

06STI360

To check it I would need to remove Cobb heatshield, to remove Cobb heatshield I need to remove TMIC. Which is easy, but putting it back on..not so easy. I will test everything else before I get to the turbo itself.

Paul.c

You can also use a mirror. if the leak is serious enough it will fog the mirror. you can use the mirror for the hard to reach places by putting a small mirror on a stick and using a flash light to see if the mirror gets fogged. maybe if you could get a video with good sound we could further help you diagnose wether or not it is actually an exhaust leak before you start disassembling your car.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good Idea Paul! I have a leak detector that we use in the garage and man does it work nice:) I agree with Paul get us a video if you can!

06STI360

Thanks for all the help guys! Turns out one of the nuts on the turbo is gone lol, I either forgot to torque it down or IDK what happened to it. The sound that I was hearing is just the DP, I crawled under there and that is for sure the sound I am hearing. The Turbo/DP connection seams to be leaking just a little bit by where the bolt is missing. I will go to the dealership tomorrow and pick a few of them up as it looks like a weird thread. Luckly its one that I can access from under the car so I won't need to take the TMIC of again. I did RTV the DP to MP connection just to be safe. If anyone knows any other place I can get that bolt or know the size, I need 2 of them as I stripped one out pretty good the other night.. Thanks again!

Hint for anyone thinking of removing your TMIC on a GR, if you remove the driver side bracket that holds the Intercooler on it makes it 100 times easier to re-instal the TMIC. Then you can slide the bracket underneath and re-install.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well I'm glad you found the problem! I would just go to the dealer for the bolts as that would be the easiest way not to drive yourself insane.

06STI360

Yeah I am, hopefully they have them in stock. Shes my DD and I don't know what damage (if any) is being done driving it like that.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You should be ok!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
See told ya! Now get to work and fix it! :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah take that out of there for sure. Them are the ugliest things I have ever seen! It's like a exhaust getting it up the can! :rofl:

06STI360

I know I hate the way it looks, but I park in my driveway and when I turn it on when shes cold it cherps my dad's car alarm. Gotta love that low subi grumble(unless your my neighbors) haha. Moaaar Powaaaa > neighbors sleeping.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What DP and exhaust did you go with?