exhaust leak

mudfoot

Installed an Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust today. I have some water dripping out of one of the gaskets. I can't make it any tighter. It's the section from the muffler to the bendy section. Don't think it's normal. Was wondering if I should try the extra gasket or a different brand. I'm going to contact the vendor I purchased it from to see what they say. Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Alter3go

Did you use the old donut gasket or a brand new one? If you used the old you are rolling the dice if it'll work again for piece of mind I tend to use new gaskets to make sure there is no leaks. Chances r it failed. Also how much water is coming out?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I've had issues like this in the past with various exhaust systems. I always keep
2 or 3 extra gaskets on hand just for this problem. I put an extra couple in there
and torque it down real tight. Go drive it for a couple days, let it heat cycle a few
times then tighten everything down again. Generally fixes the problem.

Also, sometimes you won't be able to tighten everything up completely unless you
have another person hold the piping tightly in place while you torque it all down. If
you don't have anyone who can help, you can sometimes use a jack and a block of
wood to hold the exhaust in place while you're wrenching.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Use a high temp gasket sealer with a new thick gasket.

Works every time. ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Anyone have a good site for good quality gaskets for a good price?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I feel like the website for the silicone hoses would have a better deal. Let me see for myself lol

Holy shit yeah... Compare prices. Also the silicone hoses i got and clamps are very good quality. I would hope the gaskets are the same. Im seeing half cost of some!

Last edited:

mudfoot

Did you use the old donut gasket or a brand new one? If you used the old you are rolling the dice if it'll work again for piece of mind I tend to use new gaskets to make sure there is no leaks. Chances r it failed. Also how much water is coming out?
I did use the donut gasket. I was told to use that up front. That's not my problem. There's a small drip from where the muffler connects to the piping that bends before before the mid pipe

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I did use the donut gasket. I was told to use that up front. That's not my problem. There's a small drip from where the muffler connects to the piping that bends before before the mid pipe

Its condensation. Nothing to worry about.

Bang876

Also not really related to your issue but if you ever purchase a Turbo XS TBE make sure you have something to cover up the second O2 sensor hole. In my rush to get it installed I completely forget about it and my car sounded like shit and I had no power. Here is a video of it shortly after the installed :( like i said shit

I fixed it by taking a used spark plug and covering up the hole with that.

mudfoot

Thanks for all of the info everybody. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll check the website for the other gaskets. I'm liking the sound of the exhaust so far.

I've had issues like this in the past with various exhaust systems. I always keep
2 or 3 extra gaskets on hand just for this problem. I put an extra couple in there
and torque it down real tight. Go drive it for a couple days, let it heat cycle a few
times then tighten everything down again. Generally fixes the problem.

Also, sometimes you won't be able to tighten everything up completely unless you
have another person hold the piping tightly in place while you torque it all down. If
you don't have anyone who can help, you can sometimes use a jack and a block of
wood to hold the exhaust in place while you're wrenching.

Use a high temp gasket sealer with a new thick gasket.

Works every time. ;)

Also not really related to your issue but if you ever purchase a Turbo XS TBE make sure you have something to cover up the second O2 sensor hole. In my rush to get it installed I completely forget about it and my car sounded like shit and I had no power. Here is a video of it shortly after the installed :( like i said shit

I fixed it by taking a used spark plug and covering up the hole with that.

lol, get a nice rich tune, then wire that baby up for some flames!