Exhaust mani/uppipe install

SleepyBear

if anyone that knows how to install an uppipe and stock exhaust manifold on an STI in the Virginia Beach area and would help me out i would appreciate it! i'm stationed on the Oceana Naval Base. I would buy beer/food whatever you want. My STI sounds like a pile of shit with this CHEAP EBAY header on!!! Don't see the need to spend a fortune for something that seems easy. Hard part would be taking my old manifold out as it's all one piece; uppipe and mani. Would like to do this in a couple weeks, just want a heads up on who would like to give me a hand. -Bobby-

ps. If i don't respond on here my number is 6073680567 :D

Vermont

if anyone that knows how to install an uppipe and stock exhaust manifold on an STI in the Virginia Beach area and would help me out i would appreciate it! i'm stationed on the Oceana Naval Base. I would buy beer/food whatever you want. My STI sounds like a pile of shit with this CHEAP EBAY header on!!! Don't see the need to spend a fortune for something that seems easy. Hard part would be taking my old manifold out as it's all one piece; uppipe and mani. Would like to do this in a couple weeks, just want a heads up on who would like to give me a hand. -Bobby-

ps. If i don't respond on here my number is 6073680567 :D

If you ever find your self up in the northern VA area man I wouldn't mind helping at all. Don't have the time to drop down there for a while right now I am starting up school.
My best advise I can give you man is to un-plug the front O? sensor up near the intake and then to just let it dangle and take the header out with the sensor attached. I got just a little bit of penetrating oil on the sensor area and it fouled it for me. That sensor cost $250 from Subaru and with out it you can't run the car. Other wise I found it to be rather easy. Another piece of advise. Don't bother lifting the engine up to drop out the old up-pipe. Just wiggle it around and use from muscle. The old pipe will pope right out.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes... you kinda have to pull it down and twist it clockwise.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yup... Did this on my car just last week... The Up-pipe on mine was fused to the header so it all had to come out as one piece. Once it is all loose there is just enough space between the engine and the cross member to get it out but you have to pull and twist the whole thing counter clockwise to clear the up-pipe flange between the engine and cross member. Worst case senario is you will have to loosen the motor mounts and lift the motor a little to clear it but it shouldn't be necessary. The other obstacle you might run into is the dreaded rusty nut or bolt. I recommend soaking them the night before with penetrating oil.

The procedure is...

Remove the TMIC
Remove the down pipe
Remove the turbo
Remove the header

There is much more to it but those are the major steps without writing a how-to on the subject.

Vermont

Why would I have to remove the downpipe and turbo?

You will need to remove Downpipe no way around it. the DP is blocking two of the bolts that connect the uppipe to turbo flange. The turbo does not need to come out. My best suggestion to you man is to take take your time and just have at it.

Z1107

No worries bear, I had the same jitters before swapping out my turbo. It's pretty straight forward once you start doing it. But you really need to spray the bolts the night before with PBJ to break up rust. I broke a Husky ratchet on one.