Finally introducing myself :)

05aSpenTi

Okay. So i took the plunge and removed the intake manifold and had it coated to match my future brake painting (brakes got sidelined for the weekend because it was too cold to paint them anyway). However once i got the manifold and everything put back together the car was hard to start. It would eventually fire and idle but very rough and sometimes stall. Finally during my troubleshooting i unplugged the MAF sensor on the intake just to keep the car running long enough for me to poke around under the hood. I know i have atleast one leak on the driver side of the manifold as i can hear it hissing.

NOTES:
Car idles smooth at 2k RPM with MAF unplugged
Car idles rough and stalls with MAF plugged in
CEL is on
Drivers side of manifold hisses i believe its either at mani>TGV or TGV>head seal

Is a leak enough to cause a CEL or is there something else going on?

Thanks!

05aSpenTi

Well i jumped back in and pulled it all back out. Gonna make sure the mating surfaces are "eat off them" clean and try it again tomorrow. also noticed that somehow the front passengers side coil clip had come out which would do it also. i dunno if it was like that while i was trying to start it previously or if it came out when i was pulling it all back apart but either way i'm starting back at square one. @Rek888v2: Your right though you do get awfully good at pulling it all back off haha.

05aSpenTi

ok so i got the manifold back on i cleaned the mating surfaces and used new gaskets and the driver side still has a small leak. the car idles smooth now though and it's just a faint hiss. however i still have a light on and when driving if i go wide open throttle in any gear the car hits a rev limiter of sorts at about 4.5k its a rapid DADADADADA. one thing i noticed is that i have a grey plug thats orange on the inside on each side of the motor that doesn't have a place to go. Am i supposed to have any unused plug connectors?

05aSpenTi

Got it going! : )
206672_1847806307916_1023437015_32053042_8293387_n.jpg

05aSpenTi

Gah, Something is wrong again.

To start off the car idles perfectly. there are NO check engine lights or anything else.
The car runs perfectly normal while driving around town, no funny noises or smells and plenty of power.
under moderate throttle again nothing out of the ordinary car is plenty of fun like it always has been.
It's only when you get to wide open, pedal to the floor throttle that there becomes a small and very annoying problem. The car pulls like a monster and once you get to about 4-5K there is a rapid popping sound the car stops pulling and the check engine light flashes a few times then goes away. I know there is only so much you can do on the internet but does anyone have any ideas?

05aSpenTi

To add.

all electrical connectors are 100% plugged in and sending signal to the ECU
all vacuum lines are in there respective locations.

Is it possible that my gas took on too much moisture for the 2.5 days i left the fuel lines off and the fuel cap off? I've had poor gas in my integra and it responded similarly but im running out of ideas. I guess i'll just have to stay out of boost until this tank is gone and see what happens when i can fill up with fresh. I'd fill up now but it's already got almost a full tank.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Reset the ECU and add some octane booster to the tank.

05aSpenTi

How did you go about testing the coil packs to figure out which one was bad? This is really getting annoying. I've gone through 2 tanks of fresh 91(highest we can get here) I've cleaned the MAF, and checked the ECU for trouble codes. Nothing has improved and the ECU isn't giving me anything to go on. The only thing i know is that it's a definite misfire. I read the owners manual to see what the flashing check engine light was all about and it said it will flash a handful of times when a misfire is detected. The car runs so well as long as the pedal doesn't hit the floor. I'm about to replace plugs this weekend and see what happens but im a bit doubtful.

05aSpenTi

That would be awesome! I'll try plugs this weekend first and get back to you. It doesn't act like a rev limiter as it will still climb, although very slowly, and VERY choppy with lots of popping. I don't know how far it will climb as i get off the throttle but one time i did stay in it for a little while to see if it would still climb and it did.

05aSpenTi

Alright. Changed plugs, fired it up, got it to operating temp. Then i took 10-15 hard pulls to red line and the car performed flawlessly. Then the misfire came back for a couple pulls then went away and has now been a come and go type thing since. Sometimes it does it, sometime it wont. It's really weird and still no stored code on the ecu.

I did find one of the pig tails for the passenger side rear coil is missing the clip tab thing though. Is it possible that vibration will sometimes cause it to jump and miss? Thats the only thing i can think of at this point.

Can you get new pig tail plugs from somewhere? Right now i have it zip tied as tight as i can get it but it still comes and goes and i'd like to just repair it the right way to rule it out.

05aSpenTi

Okay. I think i got it sorted. On the way home from work I took a different route home. one that had a bridge with large concrete walls on the side. I rolled down the windows and and gave it hell. I could hear a very audible and out of the norm hiss sound. When I got home I popped the hood and listened around. I found the driver side rear injector was hissing at idle so I tightened all the bolts associated with the fuel rails/injectors on both sides of the motor to be sure. The hissing stopped and the idle even improved a bit. (it wasn't bad before but you could hear it change a pretty fair amount) Took the car for a spin and it held smooth all the way to redline every time I buried my foot in any gear. I'm not getting my hopes up because I have in the past to just get shot down but I think this did it. i'll give it a week and update this then. Either way it's a good find, leaks are never good : ) I want to really thank Rek888v2 and everyone else who chimed in throughout this process. You've all been a big help.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Awesome! That has to be the problem. Glad we could all help out. We try to help everyone here the best we can. You now need a garage to put your STi in and enter some give always on the forum and please spread the word about IGOTASTi. Awesome to hear something went right. :tup:

05aSpenTi

Yea and i never could hear the hiss until i put my ear right down there next to it. the injectors clicking and doing their thing covered the sound. The car is still running perfect. Hasn't had one miss since.

05aSpenTi

Sorry it's been so long since an update. We've been dealing with a flood here as some of you may have heard in the news. Our house was among the homes damaged but it is repairable so i have to consider myself luckier than most. The car is running like a top still with no misfires : ) Some things have changed with it. I got a set of kartboy subframe bolts as well as a v limited front lip, carbign craft exhaust heat shield, kakumei carbon fiber rear window visor. I also stripped and repainted my wheels a dark graphite grey and blacked out the brembos. I also have an accessport that should be here any minute from Jordan at Defined! I'll be sure to get pics up soon when i get a chance. Just wanted to give a little update as to whats been going on since may. thanks for reading : )

Paul.c

Glad to hear you are doing okay. Also glad to see the car is still running well. Keep us updated with the installs.