First Luxembourgish guy in this forum! STi coming in 1 year!

MonGnoM

Hello, my name is MonGnoM, i'm 19 years old, working to buy myself a wonderful STi!

I always love the Subarus, but a few months ago, i fell in love with one.
I fell in love with the 2006/2007 Hawkeye Subaru Impreza WRX STi!
(I just have to figure out what the difference between the 2006 and the 2007 model is)

So 20 grands for this car (which is as much as a base-VW Golf, 90hp)
I'm waiting for it, and the chance that i'll buy one is at 100%, eventhough that i know it's not gonna be cheap with the insurance, and that the engine has quiet a few problems, i really hope not to get some serious damage with it.

icon6.png

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The 2006 is my favorite year. I love the hawkeyes!

There are subtle differences between the 06 and 07. The 07 has better gearing but adds the air pump for emissions. It clutters the engine bay IMO. The heads are configured differently to accommodate the air pump. The 06 has the better tune from the factory and is the better choice IMO.

When you do decide to buy make sure you request that a compression test be performed before you hand over any money. That will determine if the engine is in good shape or not. Otherwise I would not buy a used STi without it and if they refuse the test, then run away.

MonGnoM

The 2006 is my favorite year. I love the hawkeyes!

There are subtle differences between the 06 and 07. The 07 has better gearing but adds the air pump for emissions. It clutters the engine bay IMO. The heads are configured differently to accommodate the air pump. The 06 has the better tune from the factory and is the better choice IMO.

When you do decide to buy make sure you request that a compression test be performed before you hand over any money. That will determine if the engine is in good shape or not. Otherwise I would not buy a used STi without it and if they refuse the test, then run away.

Thank you for the tip, but what do you mean with compression test?
I've heard from a test that you should open the oil-thing while the engine is running, and if it blows back your hair, it is damaged.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Compression test measures the static pressure in each cylinder. This will indicate any problems with the internal engine parts. Each cylinder should be the same or close to each other. You should ask the seller if he would do that as you witness it or you can hire a local mechanic to do it for you if the seller is not willing to do that. I he refuses a compression test then walk away from it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to the forum! Please do your research before buying any car. We have s thread that explains some important things for when you buy a car. Search for it on the forum: "buying a new car"