Gauge Install

I just purchased the SMY gauge pod with the Prosport boost and AFR gauges. I have seen everyone go to the clock or the fuse box for power but why not the main cluster harness that is right there? Also where should I put the controller box for the AFR gauge?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good question.

I would like to know this as well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Really? I used the main cluster harness for my afr and boost gauges.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I can't be sure about our specific cluster, but I would generally advise against using
the main cluster harness.

A ton of electromagnetic compatibility engineering and testing is done to prevent the
cluster from becoming susceptible to environmental electromagnetic fields (such as high
power lines, airport radars, AM/FM radio transmitters, etc.) and/or from emitting RF that
could interfere with the operation of other onboard electronics.

Tapping into any main cluster lines, especially power/ground, could have adverse effects
on either the car itself or other electronics you have installed.

I would suggest using the clock wire harness or another portion of the electrical routing
in the car such as the cigarette lighter.

I know it might sound crazy, but trust me, I'm running electromagnetic compatibility tests
on the radiated RF emissions of GM gauge clusters right now.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
^ well said.

My thought was always to tap into the non critical accessories to avoid things like blowing up important shit.
Guess I kinda lucked out on guessing. Lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Not more than 5 minutes after mentioning what I did above, I was talking to one of our
engineers about this and he said we had a mysterious group of instrument cluster failures
from one group of Toyotas in Texas. After further investigation, it turned out that a Toyota
dealership in Texas was installing aftermarket car alarms and the technician was using the
cluster wire harness to tap into. Somewhere along the line, a situation occured in which
just the right number of components and indicators were switching on at the same time
as a current draw from the alarm system. This sent 3 amps down the line and blew a bunch
of FET's on the circuit board that were designed to see approx. 30 milliamps.

Crazy shit happens with electronics. 10 years in the field and I'm still regularly amazed.

Well I guess we can take that as a reason not to use it. So if I use the clock will it dim like the cluster? I dont keep my cluster turned up all the way on brightness. I think it is in the middle.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't remember to be honest. I have the Defi setup with the triple clock pod mount.
I'm pretty sure that there is a slight difference in the illumination between having the
headlights on and off, but I don't think the gauges vary their intensity along with the
factory cluster when turning the illumination down on the wiper stick.

usually gauges will have a seperate wire for dim/headlight control. That being said I noticed my electronics in the car acting funny when i had three gauges wired into the clock connector. It probably met its max load or amp draw and I would experience power loss and datalogging headaches. my rule of thumb if when wiring in a new electronic device would be to wire it in replacement of a device (gauge for clock) or in lieu of a device that doesnt require such an electrical demand. such as cigarette lighter that doesnt get used or fog light fuse when you dont even have foglights lol...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well then.... 2 years and no electrical issues for me. Did i luck out or something? :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe. I'm not saying that I know our cluster to be electrically sensitive, just that
there are safer places to tap into power, ground, etc.

atranz

I used the fuse box with fuse taps. They work great no splicing. I have a mechanical prosport gauge. With the head lights on its red and with the head light off its white. My gauge is on the A pillar its hard to see the numbers when they are red during the day. I recently installed it (1 month) no problems yet.

Got it all installed. The gauge pod is not the same color and the finish of it is not as great as I thought it would have been. A little picky I guess.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Got it all installed. The gauge pod is not the same color and the finish of it is not as great as I thought it would have been. A little picky I guess.

What pod did you buy?

IMG_0353.jpgIMG_0344.jpgIMG_0348.jpgIMG_0349.jpgIMG_0351.jpg
As you can see it is not OEM color. And to be honest after looking at it I almost think it is for a right hand drive STi. Crazy I know but it sits more to the left than the OEM one does. Tell me what you think.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sits a lot better than mine in my 04 :lol: