godzilla killa journal. a 2006 sti

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Is that your EWG I can hear as you're just going past? Almost like your wastegate was fluttering a bit. Also, does it dump to the
atmosphere or get routed back into your down/mid pipe? I'm on an IWG turbo so I wouldn't know...just curious is all.

Nice videos by the way :tup:

finallymysti

yes it has a dump tube to atmosphere. the chattering noise is because I have an electronic boost solenoid. it functions by opening and closeing the wastegate many times in quick succession to keep the correct boost pressure. I actually want/need to a some point weld on an extra piece of pipe to adjust it to dump a little farther back and out.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Nice! That's kind of what I figured though I forgot that EBCS can sometimes be setup to do that. Sounds mean going past at WOT :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I actually want/need to a some point weld on an extra piece of pipe to adjust it to dump a little farther back and out.

I've always wanted to see someone ballsy enough to cut a small hole in the upper passenger side of the hood and run their EWG dump tube out that
hole, cut it off at an attractive angle, polish the tip and blow flames out of it at WOT :rofl:

finallymysti

I've always wanted to see someone ballsy enough to cut a small hole in the upper passenger side of the hood and run their EWG dump tube out that
hole, cut it off at an attractive angle, polish the tip and blow flames out of it at WOT :rofl:
I thought about it but the routing doesn't really work well/easily with our cars. I was going to put one of those tractor flappers on it so when you went into boost the flapper would be pushed open. I know a fare number of Hondas have the dump tube either out the hood or bumper

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yeah it would take some custom piping for sure but would be ridiculous, in the most awesome way of course.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't think it's on the bottle. Believe 240 is about when it starts breaking down -- best option is to check websites, etc.

I have never found a clear answer but in my years 300* seems to be regarded at the max temp.
Old air cooled engines like those found in the 911 generally can run with a temp of 240-260 on a hot day, all day.
With that said, I still would make every effort to keep temps below that hear range.

finallymysti

speaking of old air cooled 911's I got a ride in one. I really liked it. it seemed to have a handling balance and feel surprisingly similar to our cars from the passenger seat. and yes I know it sounds crazy

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Never put one through the paces but they have an ability to be ass happy. Well built machines and thoroughly tracked the older gen 911 have a wicked way of owning the driver. Seems the guys always say the far rear engined cars take a very special driving style in themselves.
The 996 and 997 models seem to make better use if handling but again, I have not had the pleasure of a first person flogging.... sigh

finallymysti

Never put one through the paces but they have an ability to be ass happy. Well built machines and thoroughly tracked the older gen 911 have a wicked way of owning the driver. Seems the guys always say the far rear engined cars take a very special driving style in themselves.
The 996 and 997 models seem to make better use if handling but again, I have not had the pleasure of a first person flogging.... sigh

that's what I had always heard and thought that the classic 911 was tail happy. but from being a passenger and talking with him some more it didn't seem it to much. I think what it comes down to is two fold in this order 1) is how well you can manage the pendulum effect of that weight. 2) how well set up the car is.

finallymysti

Just did compression test and all came to 125 except for cylinder 1 had 130 psi. Also did a pressure test on the cooling system and came out good.

finallymysti

so an update. I had another event after installing new radiator, water pump, and thermo stat and it over heated in 10 minutes, only 70 out. so I decided to go ahead and install arp head studs, replace headgasket, lash valves, resurface heads. i'm also gonna be installing an oil cooler but the parts aren't here yet. while the engines out i'm putting in a new clutch and flywheel, also replacing the motormounts. my uppipe has been leaking so also getting a vband connection for that. also hurt my foot pretty bad so gonna end up missing an event I was thinking of going to. pics to come in a couple of weeks.

finallymysti

so got back from the doctors yesterday and my foot is actually broken. i'm not allowed to put any weight/pressure on it, so no driving for 4 weeks. no working on the car for 4 weeks. pretty much no anything for 4 weeks. ftmfl