Got a Citation for my Stock/Factory STi Muffler

ChhewBAKA

The story goes... I was driving minding my own business and I got pulled over by the town's police. This happened like 3 weeks ago at 9pm. I was worried that the cause of it was maybe because I was doing 40 in a 20 but that wasn't it. The reason the officer pulled me over is because I threw my cigarettes butt out from my STi's window. After the officer did his thing and then he came back with the citation saying "A modified or altered muffler is illegal in Massachusettes." And gave me the ticket. I kind of lol softly and explained to him that the muffler is factory and it even have the "STi" stamped right on it. The young officer looked stupid now and then he just said that now I have the choice to appeal it then. I'm just thinking," this is a waste of my time." I asked him if I'm allow to step out from the vehicle and show him where the "STI" stamp is on the muffler and that it matches every other STi emblem all around my... um...yes.. STI! But he said," no, you may just have to appeal it." And explained how it was done through the mail and junk. Ok whatever. So, I ask you guys, what do you think? I am appealing it. What do you guys suggest I should do on how to prove that my muffler is stock? I tried looking for sites that shows that the muffler came like that factory but I can seem to find a legit one. Do you know a good site I can look at? I also went to one of the Subaru dealership that I had my car serviced before and they couldn't give me anything... I want to be ready for this. Lol and I also went to the police station the next day to ask them for advices on how to win this battle haha. And it was obvious that they didn't give me anything either:lol: hey I tried.

ChhewBAKA

It was the officer's mistake for thinking the muffler was aftermarket just because, I'm assuming, the tip looks bigger than other cars.

Alter3go

Yeah I assume it was but just checking also I was going to give suggestions that the invidia n1 titanium tip for your car lol. I don't have something that'll help you but just provide pics to the judge and let them know that your car is bone stock also point out the fact it says STI. Also pull up the law and read the print because for all you know you weren't even close to what the law says since the cop made multiple mistakes from what he said he originally pulled u over for

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
All you have to do is get a signed affidavit from an inspection station or the dealer. Then mail it in with the ticket and a "not guilty" plea. If the dealer said they can't do anything then they are ignorant. You might have to get the affidavit from motor vehicles or the precinct.

Happened to me last year.

Last edited:

ChhewBAKA

All you have to do is get a signed affidavit from an inspection station or the dealer. Then mail it in with the ticket and a "not guilty" plea.

Happened to me last year.

Great idea! Thanks man, i'll try that. One thing though, I've all ready sent out my ticket for the appeal. I'll use it in court instead then.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Your state is weird. :lol: They go through an appeal first and then the trial?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Honestly, I'm not surprised one bit. I was stopped in California for the same thing but somehow managed to convince him (and multiple other officers, 3 cruisers with nothing better to do than screw with me were parked behind) to look at the exhaust AND I showed him the temporary registration I had that showed I bought it 2 weeks prior.
He then tried to tell me I was speeding but had no proof and finally said "well, that big wing is a magnet". So what?!
In hindsight, I'm surprised I didn't get in some kind of trouble because I wasn't a very pleasant person to interact with and wrote down his badge number while he stood at my window and watched.
He finally let me go after 15-20 minutes of the other cops eyeball @$!#ing the car and discussing what to do with me.
With the way one of them treated me, I'm glad I was pulled over in a highly populated area or I might have been Rodney King'd. :lol:
All because a single doucher was profiling and hating on the wing.

This is why I'm wingless. :lol:

Alter3go

I drive a focus hatch. At least that's what people mistake me for lol it's a family vehicle :)

Seriously u should gopro yourself at all times lol

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow?! Thats insane?! Lmao