help Exhaust Housing

jjv

I have an 11Sti I'm swapping out the turbo for a better up grade and i bent / pinched
the Exhaust Housing since its like tin. What do I do? :(:(

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
you bent the downpipe?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, the only thing like tin in that area is definitely the turbo heat shield. That piece usually doesnt fit other turbos or downpipes anyways. You can trim it, ditch it, or try to bend it back...but dont sweat it!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yeah, the only thing like tin in that area is definitely the turbo heat shield. That piece usually doesnt fit other turbos or downpipes anyways. You can trim it, ditch it, or try to bend it back...but dont sweat it!

Don't throw it out! I can't even begin to explain how many people want one because they threw their's out back in the day
like I did. I ended up getting another one, and cutting it with a Dremel to fit my larger dowpipe, and then later trimming it again
to fit my GT30 turbo. Not only is it a functional heat shield, but sometimes I like how it hides from view what is underneath.

jjv

where the elbow is its pinched and dented. to tight to take a picture where that is . but thats my problem ^^^^

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Oh shit. Is that a turbo coolant line? I can't remember what they look like normally, mine are in a slightly different position now with my GT30, and they're braided steel. Either way, I'm pretty sure that's a coolant line.

jjv

yeah I think that's what it is my Dom 1.5 came with a line that is supposed to connect to that right ??I'm screwed

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
yeah I think that's what it is my Dom 1.5 came with a line that is supposed to connect to that right ??

Probably.

I'm screwed

Ehhh, you might just have to get a new coolant line. If you didn't pinch it at least 50% of the way closed,
I doubt it will fail in epic fashion. BUT if you do drive it around until you get that replaced, I'd be verrrrrry careful
and stay out of boost if at all possible. You don't want to grenade that turbo.

It doesn't look THAT bad, but I'm afraid to say it's okay and then have your turbo eat itself.

Definitely get a second opinion and come up with a plan....soon.

Just to clarify, you're pointing at the metal, accordion-looking connection and NOT the open ended nipple with the threads...correct?

jjv

do you know how long that court line is am I going to have to weave in and out of the things or is it pretty shortbecause the 1 for myNew turbos braided it's real flimsy which is nice.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
From what I am seeing it is just the shielding that covers the coolant line. It is made of paper and foil wrapped around a coil of wire to give it its shape. My guess is that the hose underneath is okay. As long as there is nothing leaking you are probably okay.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That sounds about right. From the pic, (to me at least) it looks like it's just been slightly abraded, not pinched. You can tell a hell of a lot better in person than I can from the pic, so it's really your judgement call. I believe the coolant line OD is 3/8", and that shielding looks about 3/4" OD or more.

I hope it turns out not to be a big deal after all.