Hey everyone . New to the group

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=5860]FaceRipper[/MENTION] welcome friend.

Ask away. ?

↪Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!↩

FaceRipper

In response to buying parts without a well thought out plan, where does the plan start? Determining the end goal of your vehicle? I'd like to hear some responses from more experienced members than myself on mistakes they have made and where they would begin now knowing what they know.

FaceRipper

Sorry guys new to using this forum. My last post was in response to another new members post and I accidentally inserted it here.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Exactly. You have to determine what you really want the car to be. There are trade offs in many areas. If you want big power, you will likely sacrifice a lot of boost/throttle response. If you want fast spool, you'll sacrifice top end power. If you want to lower the car a lot and sharpen the handling, you'll sacrifice ride comfort. These are by no means 100% one way or the other, as there are mitigating steps you can take to reduce the trade off, but those are often expensive or complicated. The general rule of thumb is, anything north of 400whp will require an engine build or you'll eventually blow it up. That makes +400whp builds considerably more expensive and time consuming. Many people will start with a full turboback exhaust and a tune. This is a great starting point, but I urge people to wait until they have determined if they are going to want to do a turbo swap in the future. If that is the case, then they should probably wait until they have the turbo picked out before they choose an exhaust to properly match it. No one likes buying a second exhaust system because their first choice no longer fits their new turbo.

There are however, a number of modifications that are not only relatively inexpensive, but don't have many drawbacks. These are some of the best ones to start with:

Swaybars
Endlinks
Swaybar mounts
Engine Pitch-Stop mount
Transmission mount
Polyurethane bushings (to go with these ^)

Good quality tires
-summer ultra-performance
-dedicated snow tires

Forget about crap all-seasons right from the beginning.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

FaceRipper

Just talking with the local shop here and the recommendation there is just a Cobb Access Port and Panel Filter to start. Does that seem fair?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Absolutely. The Access Port is a great diagnostic tool. It allows you to monitor and log a ton of engine parameters, as well as read and clear diagnostic codes. You can store multiple tunes on it and switch between them relatively easily. The only drawback to the Access Port is the inability to store and flash Open Source tunes (unless the new variants can do that, idk...someone please confirm).

A panel filter is just fine too.

Keep in mind that just about any modification you make to the engine (intake, exhaust, fuel, etc. etc. etc.) WILL require a retune. (Drop in filter is fine without a retune)

One sure way to destroy your engine is to make modifications for more power and then keep driving around on the stock tune. This is one big reason why people often take a few months to draw up a detailed plan, purchase the parts and install them all at once, immediately before being tuned. Some people choose to have the tuner install them just before the car goes on the dyno. Others will install them at home and then very, very carefully limp the car to the tuner. If you do this, you should stay out of boost and baby it in the slow lane.

We absolutely do not want you to damage your engine in the process...

Check out this thread...
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/4294-Extremely-good-information-for-first-time-turbo-owners!

Also, there's a lot of good information here...
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/5042-Noob-Threads-of-Interest

Last edited:

FaceRipper

Glad you also mentioned the tires. I'm in Alberta so snow can be expected for a good 5 months. Put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires on for the winter. Super good traction there.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You are allowed to run studded tires?! That's AWESOME! :D

I run Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter and I love them. I'll probably never run a different snow tire as long as I live.

To each their own, but it drives me crazy every time someone buys an STi, or any sports car for that matter, and then puts shitty all-season tires on it. To me, that's like sending an athlete to the Olympics wearing penny loafers and expecting him to win a medal.

FaceRipper

Great advice . Thank you. I'll check those links out as well. What have you done with your ride you're happiest about? I've started with just some exterior changes. New tail lights from Subispeed and now looking at a carbon fiber hood and trunk from Seibon. They look pretty good in pictures but I'd like to see the quality in person. If anyone here has an opinion is like to hear.

FaceRipper

Blizzaks are great. I'm not sure why someone would purchase an STI or WRX and run all seasons. Each to their own but that type of tire would seem like a weak point.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I can vouch for Seibon quality! My hood was a PERFECT fitment on the very first try! I've also had it on the car for 4 years now, where it endured 100 degrees of blistering heat and sunlight, as well as -2 degrees of frigid cold ice. I bought mine used, so it had imperfections, but no new imperfections have risen since, despite the weather it's been through! (I don't think the retail price of a new hood or trunk is worth it, hence why I went with a used piece.)

I claybar and wax the hood twice a year and it still looks amazing! :tup:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Bump for [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]. Excellent advice any one of us would have given.

Oh and welcome to the forum buddy!

And thats all i have to say about that...

FaceRipper

Hahaha well I'm definitely talking to someone who has experience with mods. Wow. I havnt come across any STI's with anything close to that amount of work done to them. Must be crazy fun to drive.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Bump for @Batmobile_Engage. Excellent advice any one of us would have given.

Oh and welcome to the forum buddy!

And thats all i have to say about that...

I do what I can. I remember back in the day trying to get advice from the asshats on IWSTi or NAZIoc. It was like pulling the teeth out of a live, sarcastic alligator. :lol:

Hahaha well I'm definitely talking to someone who has experience with mods. Wow. I havnt come across any STI's with anything close to that amount of work done to them. Must be crazy fun to drive.

Lots of guys have way more time and money into their cars than me. Once I eventually get the motor built, I'll be pretty much done. That's what's holding my back right now, the stock internals. So, to keep them from shitting the bed, the car is detuned. With forged internals, I should be able to make ~450whp. At that point, I will be satisfied with the power and will focus on a nice paint job and so forth.