High pitch whistling noise under boost - 05 STI

BlueBlob

Hey guys,

As mentioned in the subject, I experience this when my STI is under boost. Its definitely coming from the engine side... more passenger side.

You can possibly hear it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rss-Y2aTAcU

45 seconds into the video you can hear it clearly....

We definitely feel its a boost leak, as my tuner had a look at my car and told the following: She is boosting high (1.2 bar) and she is boosting late (3800 rpm).

We have done the following to check for the boost leak:

-checked actuator
-checked waste gate pretention
-checked blow off valve
-checked boost solenoid
-checked exhaust for leaks
-took off intercooler and checked piping for cracks or splits

None of the above was an issue, any suggestions?

Alter3go

Mods list? I'd say check all piping id start at the uppipe. Those have a tendency to crack also loose hoses. Did you pinpoint the whistle in the engine bay?or do you have to be driving the vehicle to hear the whine?

Last edited:

BlueBlob

Mods list? I'd say check all piping id start at the uppipe. Those have a tendency to crack also loose hoses. Did you pinpoint the whistle in the engine bay?or do you have to be driving the vehicle to hear the whine?

Mods list:
-Mishimoto Radiator
-30mm lowered springs

Thats it, other then that she is dead stock.

We can only hear this when the vehicle is moving and is under boost, she starts whistling as you can see in the above video, after 4000rpm.

When driving it sounds like the sound travels under the car, and more to the passenger side.

Remember I have a right hand drive Scooby, plus she is the 2.0L turbo (EJ20)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sounds like normal turbo spool to me. I also hear a little bit of gear whine. It all sounds perfectly normal to me. :tup:

BlueBlob

So I'm sure you guys know of my accident earlier this year, and how my Blob was written off.

So we bought back the car, and decided to strip her for parts.

We sold my OEM exhaust to someone else, and it made the exact same whistle - mystery solved!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I wish my exhaust made that noise. It's cool!

Childish I know but still want it :tup:

did you figure out exactly why it was making the noise? my 04 sit started making the same noise tonight and it feels like it lost a bunch of power