How do you remove the STi reverse ring under the shift knob?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
My STi is an 04. After I take off the shift knob how do I take off the reverse ring? Any help would be great. Thank you.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Not sure that matters, you're just trying to disconnect it all.

Yes. I want to put a new one on. Can I push that pin out then put a new one on or is it more than that?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Crap hasn't anyone done this?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Trying to replace the ring with my new shift knob.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Fuji after you unscrew your knob you'll have your STi reverse ring that you can pull up to get in reverse. STi Reverse Ring

orestes85

There is a small hollow pin that runs front to back on the reverse lockout ring. you take a punch and a hammer and push it all the way through. BEFORE doing that you need to get under you car and find the lever that the lockout ring pulls up that is located on your transmission (near the shift linkage). You take an allen wrench or something similar, pull that lever back, and put the allen wrench through a hole. This will keep the cable that connects the ring and the lever up so that when you replace the lockout ring, the cable isn't down in the bottom of the shifter and you can push the pin back through the cable when you attach the new lockout ring.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I had no idea that you had to do all that, lol. No way to do it easier?

orestes85

I suppose you can just remove the pin in the lockout ring if you don't care about losing your reverse lockout...but then there wouldn't be much of a point to replacing it. It really doesn't take all that much time though. I've had to do it twice (second time because I discovered that my reverse lockout cable was broken). Without having to pull the dash out to replace the shift level, it probably only takes ~15-30 mins tops.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So under the car is where to start then?

There is a small hollow pin that runs front to back on the reverse lockout ring. you take a punch and a hammer and push it all the way through. BEFORE doing that you need to get under you car and find the lever that the lockout ring pulls up that is located on your transmission (near the shift linkage). You take an allen wrench or something similar, pull that lever back, and put the allen wrench through a hole. This will keep the cable that connects the ring and the lever up so that when you replace the lockout ring, the cable isn't down in the bottom of the shifter and you can push the pin back through the cable when you attach the new lockout ring.

Start underneath the car and do what ^^^ says. No easier way if you want to keep reverse. Or you can keep the knob you already have installed and send me the Igot arrow STi knob and I'll do a detailed install procedure video for you.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Start underneath the car and do what ^^^ says. No easier way if you want to keep reverse. Or you can keep the knob you already have installed and send me the Igot arrow STi knob and I'll do a detailed install procedure video for you.

I'm going to be giving one away soon! Stay tuned, and thanks for the info.

Scooby STIle

Finally able to log in again.
If you need help with this, let me know. I have a step by step pdf file with pictures if you need it. I downloaded it a long time ago when I was swapping my shifter.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Finally able to log in again.
If you need help with this, let me know. I have a step by step pdf file with pictures if you need it. I downloaded it a long time ago when I was swapping my shifter.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Yes please post it.