I hated cleaning my wheels!

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
The ONE thing I hate about my STi is cleaning those damned wheels. With the nooks and crannies around all the spokes, it takes as long to wash them alone as it does the entire rest of the car. It got so I'd wash the wheels about once every 3 regular washes to avoid the aggravation. Most cleaners don't work due to the nature of the acids destroying the wheels or the non acidic cleaners don't clean, and require almost as much scrubbing as using soap and water. Now I've found Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner, and I'm hooked. Completely.

Because of the Florida heat, I do hit it with a soft brush to spread it out and keep it from drying before I can rinse it and agitate the product in, but I'm seriously saying all 4 wheels were done in less than 5 minutes, including agitation. Anyone who wants a nice and easy way to clean the most obnoxious wheels should definitely give this stuff a shot. The folks at DetailersDomain.com have been wonderful to deal with, answering my questions and assisting me in a prompt manner, which is something many companies are missing these days. Thank you, Jj Michael Smith and Phil Yiu, for introducing me to the stuff!

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax-Full-Effect-Wheel-Cleaner-500ml_p_324.html

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We always keep a case on hand!

Nothing compares! #sonax

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Still have 2 bottles out of the 6 pack i bought last year! :tup: best stuff out there!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I've wanted to get some Sonax for a while now, because you guys seem to absolutely love it. I've still got a half a bottle left of this stuff:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g9524-hot-rims-all-wheel-tire-cleaner/

I've been using it for a couple years now, on three different sets of wheels, and it does a great job. What is special about Sonax products that make them so much better?
Money has been tight lately so I haven't been able to convince myself to buy any.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
It really cuts through all the dust and grime quickly, when it changes from green to red, you can swipe it with a brush real fast to work it in for best effect, and it literally melts the crap off with a solid water spray. No scrubbing at all.

Here's a pretty slick video someone did that shows it working. Note that I do not use a pressure washer nor did I let it sit quite that long, as the Florida heat would dry it on the wheel, which is bad.. just the hose sprayer after I sprayed all the wheels and agitated a bit and it works just fine. I also didn't use nearly so much on my wheels. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2lkDF5FxS4

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Holy crap he definitely used a lot!!! You only need a small amount to cover the entire surface! Scrub a little. Give it a minute. And wham! Brand new rims!!!!! Ill show you tomorrow cause my rims are nastyyyyyyy!!!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Thanks guys, that's pretty awesome. I most often use a pressure washer but sometimes use a soft bristled nylon brush if the brake dust is exceptionally heavy. Considering how I drive, the brake dust is OFTEN heavy. :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have the huge jug in my garage. Love it because it's easy. I don't wash as often as I used too so this stuff really helps clean off the built up crap. Both rides, the sti and porsche brake dust badly so this stuff is a miracle worker.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'll have to get some when I'm almost out of what I've got. I'll probably order it from Detailer's Domain, seeing how they are a vendor here.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Keep an eye out for buy 5, get 6th free deals, too. I picked some up when they had that a few weeks ago. They post sales on the forum when they're going to do it. If I see another one, I'll let you know

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Before:

Ewwwww.

Ok ill post the after later this afternoon/evening when i get to cleaning it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sonax will crush that no problem.

zax

I hate cleaning wheels... Especially the 2015 STi base wheels.

My OZ Ultraleggeras would go from gloss black to flat black with only one drive on my 2003 thanks to my Prodrive BBK :p

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] can you post a closer pic of the 15 rims?

zax

[MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] can you post a closer pic of the 15 rims?

On vacation ATM, but I will do so when I get home. They are a complete PITA to clean. Not many images online: most pics are of the BBS wheels on the LE and Limited.

I stole this from Dan's list of OEM wheels on NASIOC

2015STIbasewheel_zps1e9da88f.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Have you taken them off to see how heavy they are?