Intake with an airbox really worth it?

I was actually surprised how big that silencer is on the 11 STi lols, once removed all those nice turbo sounds come to life :)
added Cobb SF Intake with box.

teedub21

Don't waste your money on an intake unless you want to hear the pshhh sound. Also don't even think about an intake or a drop in K&N filter on a GR without a tune.

Joeywnc2291

I'm still new to the STIs and modifying them. I've always worked on old big block racing engines. What is an intake silencer?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Its a waste of plastic that quiets down the intake noise inside the cabin.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm still new to the STIs and modifying them. I've always worked on old big block racing engines. What is an intake silencer?

It's a plastic tubular section that attaches to the lower end of the intake/filter box. It's kind of like a drain trap under the bathroom sink, but it's purpose is to keep induction, turbo and bypass valve noise to a minimum to comply with the multitude of automotive and government regulations.

It has no effect on performance of the stock intake, but removing it will allow you to hear the turbo spooling and the vented boost from the bypass valve returning to the turbo inlet.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] was saying there might be an exlusion. Lets see what he has to say.

Joeywnc2291

Yeah let me know for sure. I would love to hear more turbo spooling. But from what I've seen the BOVs are not the way to go for that. Screws up air to fuel

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Its a waste of plastic that quiets down the intake noise inside the cabin.

Damnit...you beat me to it. :banghead: :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No BOV! No need for an aftermarket BPV either as of now. Whatre your goals for power and what type of car will this be?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The WRX does not have it. The STi does. Not sure with the 15 but since it's the same old engine, I would bet it does.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yeah let me know for sure. I would love to hear more turbo spooling. But from what I've seen the BOVs are not the way to go for that. Screws up air to fuel

In the vast majority of cases, you can run whatever bypass/blow off valve you please, provided that the vented boost is routed back into the intake tract. The factory BPV is more than capable and shouldn't be changed, until you start making a ton of other modifications and more power.

Joeywnc2291

Yeah I'm not going to touch the Bov. And honestly I drive it daily. I'm not making it a track car or anything. Just enjoy working on it. I'm not wanting to put a new bigger turbo or anything on it. Just trying to make it look sick and up the horsepower a little. Maybe get it up to 350 or a Lil more than that.

Joeywnc2291

I am wanting to figure a way to make the turbo more noticeable. That's been something I've been trying to research.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I am wanting to figure a way to make the turbo more noticeable. That's been something I've been trying to research.

More noticeable in which way?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yeah I'm not going to touch the Bov. And honestly I drive it daily. I'm not making it a track car or anything. Just enjoy working on it. I'm not wanting to put a new bigger turbo or anything on it. Just trying to make it look sick and up the horsepower a little. Maybe get it up to 350 or a Lil more than that.

To keep the engine reliable without changing out the internals, max recommended horsepower is ~400. A solid protune on stage II modifications will net you approximately 315whp.