Intake with an airbox really worth it?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not gonna happen on the stock turbo and motor. Need a bigger turbo and E85 for those numbers.

With a good protune and supporting mods, this is achievable on the stock turbo.

teedub21

With a good protune and supporting mods, this is achievable on the stock turbo.

That little bugger will be working hard though. What supporting mods? EWG, Injectors, pump and E85 is the only way I could see it, don't ya think? Not sure on pump gas. 350 to the wheels seems like a big number on stock block and turbo.

I'm just stage 2 with a pro tune from COBB Surgeline and made 283hp/313ft lbs.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There are many other supporting mods you can do. 350 is easily achievable on a stock turbo but it wont be cheap.

Joeywnc2291

Ah I did not know that. Kinda skipped my mind about the whp. And cool deal. I will Def keep posting what I have done. Doing something the right way is never cheap but it's always way worth it!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ah I did not know that. Kinda skipped my mind about the whp. And cool deal. I will Def keep posting what I have done. Doing something the right way is never cheap but it's always way worth it!

Make sure you research THOROUGHLY BEFORE buying stuff. You want to be smart and avoid issues that arent neccessary! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Remember that 305 is a crank rating not at the wheels. A stock STi puts down about 235 to the wheels on a realistic dyno.

Good point, but 235 is an awfully low reading. 280/265 is what I've seen most of the time. I put down ~235 back in the day on my old stock turbo with the cracked wastegate port, that couldn't push more than 12-14psi. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Where in the hell have you seen that high for a stock reading?!?! Please show!!!! Mind blown.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
350 chp is doable on pump gas
400 chp is doable on e85
350 whp is doable with e85
400 whp is probably gonna need a larger turbo or a reworked stock turbo.

Intake will net you the most noise you desire. It's not a very noticeable power gain but it's doable and safe if your mapping is scaled for that particular intake. In the realm of power vs. dollar, the intake is a loser. Generally they are only needed in larger turbo bigger power cars to feed the air with less restrictions. The term "cold air intake" or "CAI" is sort of a misnomer. The CAI usually is pulling hot air from the engine bay, sans Cobb's with a box still retaining the air ram.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
And just figure 20% for drivetrain loss and forget about what dyno reads what.
So 305 hp equals about 245 to the ground.
Use the dyno for a baseline and then for measuring power after adders. Otherwise, forget about the numbers.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
(Intake not necessary, k&n filter recommended) Turbo inlet, tmic, tgv deletes, phenolic spacers, PnP headers, uppipe, turbo back, injectors, fuel pump, e85, and most important = tune.

You should be right around 350-360 whp.

But lets not forget the suspension to keep that power planted! :tup:

teedub21

Yeah, the stock intake is the best true cold air intake and it came with your car! Just make sure and keep a clean stock filter in it. I replaced my filter before my last dyno tune and at only one year old and 8500 miles that filter was DIRTY!