Issue's with Power Steering Pump/ Steering Rack!

Im having issues, when I take aggressive turns or U- turn's my steering wheel starts to shake. It also winds a bit on cold starts when a turn the wheel just a little. I went to the dealer and told them what problems I am having. My service advisor told me it could be my power steering pump or my steering rack. I do have a few suspension mods such as Cobb Lowering Springs, Cobb F+R Swaybars and Endlinks and Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. I have about 61k miles on the car I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Mine does this, only on hard left's though. I have yet to solve the problem.

Bump for more on the subject.

Bluedemon_II

The problem might be the O ring that is at the base of the top of the pump. With time it deteriorates and starts allowing air to go into the pump. Change that O ring first and then see if the problem improves.

For the two guys with the issue, what year and mileage on your vehicles? Any leaks? Stock alignment? Type of tires? Any changes to the steering rack bushings? Have the bushings been inspected if stock bushings? At first read sounds like "bump steer".

For the two guys with the issue, what year and mileage on your vehicles? Any leaks? Stock alignment? Type of tires? Any changes to the steering rack bushings? Have the bushings been inspected if stock bushings? At first read sounds like "bump steer".

I have a 2007 STi with about 61k miles, I have the whiteline steering rack bushings which I replaced about 3-4k miles ago, I do not have any leaks I put a few doggy pads under my car when I parked it in the garage 3 days ago. I do have a stock alignment and im running crappy all weather continental tires. Sorry to ask but whats bump steer?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
check the the stiffness of the power steering hoses at the res too. If they are hard its time to replace them.

Also would be a good time to replace the fluid and clean out the res.

When I replaced my hoses I went with standard wormdrive clamps, much better than the stock one use (expensive) clamps.

check the the stiffness of the power steering hoses at the res too. If they are hard its time to replace them.

Also would be a good time to replace the fluid and clean out the res.

When I replaced my hoses I went with standard wormdrive clamps, much better than the stock one use (expensive) clamps.

Ill check the hoses and I just did a fluid change not to long ago about 2-3k miles ago.