Jumping Misfire

John

1998 Outback 2.5L EJ25D (updated headgaskets and timing components)

I seem to have a misfire that does not want to go away. First it was P0302 (misfire cylinder 2). So I decided to do a general tune up.

Plugs
Wires
Coilpack
Cleaned MAF, IAC, TB, Intake, FI, etc

Car still misfires, however now its throwing P0301 (misfire cylinder 1). Compression and leak down test check out OK, so I'm at a loss for what else to do. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

John

Is there any other way besides running seafoam through the gastank. I put about half a bottle of seafoam in the tank when it was at about 1/4

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Funny. I'm having this same problem on cylinder one. I have yet to clean out the injector but I did also notice some oxidation on the connectors inside the coil pack and the connector itself doesn't seem like it is tight. I'm gonna start with the injector and see how that goes. If not then I believe it is the connection to the coil pack in my case.

If you already changed out your coil pack and plugs then the only things left are injector or wire connection

1998 Outback 2.5L EJ25D (updated headgaskets and timing components)

I seem to have a misfire that does not want to go away. First it was P0302 (misfire cylinder 2). So I decided to do a general tune up.

Plugs
Wires
Coilpack
Cleaned MAF, IAC, TB, Intake, FI, etc

Car still misfires, however now its throwing P0301 (misfire cylinder 1). Compression and leak down test check out OK, so I'm at a loss for what else to do. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

John

What is weird about this one though is that the misfire jumped from cylinder 2 to cylinder 1.

John

Just a random thought.

The 1996 EJ25D required premium due to the heads on the engine....

I know this is kind of a long shot...but if I somehow have a 96 engine...or 96 heads....would running regular gas in it cause it to misfire like that? If that were the case, I would think there would be a knock sensor code with the misfire code though

John

lol. it can be literally anything. thats what driving me crazy about it. however, parts going bad (maf, fp, etc) i usually see misfire on multiple cylinders at once....not only at one at a time

Scott Stokes

What is weird about this one though is that the misfire jumped from cylinder 2 to cylinder 1.

Did you by chance put the coil u replaced in 1 by accident. Might of laid the coil you intended to replace to close to other coils. Just saying I have seen it done

John

Nope. Its one coil on the top of the engine for all 4 plugs. Older Subarus are a little different then the newer ones...not by much...but a little bit