K&N drop in filter

13SubSTi

As the title states I jus purchased one and installed it didn't really wanna waste the time trying to find somebody to tune an aftermarket intake or purchase the AP from Cobb although I'm sure that'll b later on. My main question is does this filter need a tune, is it going to make stuff detonate or anything else I wouldn't think so but I've seen a lot of different things on other sites so I figured I'd ask the ppl who know what's up. Also the car is a 2013 STi

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
As far as i know a drop in air filter does not harm anything. It is SUGGESTED that you do get a tune but it is NOT REQUIRED. My personaly preference is to always get a tune whenever you change anything engine related.

You could save up a bunch of parts and get a tune for everything once youre ready to have it install. Most people dont like to wait so the other option is an etune for each part. Our platinum members get free etunes regardless of how many parts you add. Its whenever and wherever. If you choose the etune route make sure you read the prerequisites.

TK-421

Quick and dirty answer.

No you do not need a tune for a Drop in Panel filter.

Do I recommend a tune with a panel filter. Nope.

Why? Because regardless if the filter is high flow or not, your still not changing the flow pattern. Just the volume of air. The MAF can adjust for the volume, it's the path/routing of air across the sensor that needs adjusted when a aftermarket intake is installed. Hence the need for a tune.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ Exactly, the dimensions of the MAF housing are not changing, so while flow may be greater with a drop in K&N, the flow pattern through the MAF remains the same.

13SubSTi

Alright thanks pretty much sums up everything I already figured. I could but don't want to really shell out all the greenery for the Cobb AP and intake hell might as well go stage 2 n get it all in a bundle w the exhaust but not really trying to spend close to 2 Gs right now jus wanted to hear a little more turbo n engine sound from stock so I figured this seemed the way to go

13SubSTi

Alright yea I definitely will since this is my first STi n coming from a 92 civic EG SI hatch this is a whole new world I'll have to update w some pics jus haven't had the chance

TK-421

Well welcome to the World of Flat 4 turbo. You'll enjoy it. I may no longer have one, but I will agree that Subaru's are fun