Leaky cooling system

MrBear

It's been a couple months now, but I installed a Mishimoto radiator into my car to replace the second leaky OE rad. First leak I had was the crappy o-ring Mishimoto uses on the drain plug that I replaced with a copper washer. Since that leak I've been battling a leaking upper rad hose. I've loosened it up re-positioned the hose re-tightened it would seem to work for a while and start to leak again. I'm trying to figure out which is more the culprit the silicon hose or the smooth aluminum. Two solutions that I've come up with is to get some H/D constant tension hose clamps, or what I probably should have done when I put the radiator in, scuff up the water-neck with a scotch-brite pad. Any thoughts or insight is welcomed. I also have to re-do Mishimoto's teflon job on the barbed fitting they used on the filler-neck as well.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The smoother the surface the better so I feel it is not the neck that is the issue. Every thing must be perfectly clean and free of any oil and must be perfectly dry prior to installation. Thoroughly clean the inside of the hose as well. Then use T clamps instead of worm gear to tighten.

That should do it.

MrBear

I wiped down everything before it went together so that part of it should be good. I'll grab some T-bolts in the morning. I have access to some of the clamps that have a tensioning spring on them to help to maintain same pressure through thermal expansion. Do you think there would be anything to gain with using these?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Snap a photo of those. I'm intrigued :lol:

It makes sense actually. Aluminum expands and contracts significantly with changes in temp and that could be the culprit and the reason why the old plastic radiator doesn't leak and the aluminum one dose. Just a hypothesis.

But then again why wouldn't the one on the engine leak then.

ZachTTLM

If you are having issues with the Mishimoto rad get it replaced, Mishimoto warranties their products. I would not modify it just get it replaced. What type of radiator hoses are you using? what type of clamps?

Scott Stokes

I have seen this on several Mishimoto Radiators. It is bad in warmer weather. But replacing the Radiator doesnt work. That is why personally i will not use them. Custom made is better and Cheaper most of the time. But what i do to fix these is clean the hose and radiator outlet and use a little anaerobic sealer. Its doesnt dry to a hard substance. but seals well. I use this on seals i install to make sure they seal and dont come out under pressure.

MrBear

I used Samco hoses and found clamps similar to what they use in their clip kits, worm drive clamps that are indented instead of punched out. I'll switch out to the t bolt, because I have some sitting around, I also do have some anaerobic as well. Just never really crossed my mind to use it in there. Holy the only thing I could say is cast over tubing on the aluminum could be a difference, because I haven't had the issue with leaks on the engine side of the hoses. I'll also snap some pics of those clamps for you.

MrBear

2011-10-22 19.26.00.jpg2011-10-22 17.26.14.jpg

This is the constant tension clamps I was talking, which I'll end up going with because the t-bolt clamps I have aren't small enough. Also added a pick of the barbed fitting and Mishimoto's teflon job.

Last edited:

bugeye_fever

This is interesting, I use a mishimoto rad and hoses with t bolts. Mine has not once leaked on the radiator side, always on the engine side. I got a bad leak this year when the overnight temp swung down in the 40's for the first time of the year.

ZachTTLM

I was refering to the issues with the barbed fitting and the drain plug issues and so on as to if he is having all these issues get it replaced but seems to be getting them ironed out. We have sold several mishimoto radiators and installed these with no issues but have used T-bolt clamps, so I think you will find great results by switching to those.

MrBear

Are you using silicon hoses? To be honest that's when I noticed things really going awry when the temps started getting cooler. I went through the whole cooling system yesterday and every silicon hose on the cooling system needed to be re-torqued. So far everything is in check, and I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks closely. Like I said in my previous post I ended up using the constant tension clamps in-lieu of the t-bolt clamps. Time will tell if this is another alternate to the t-bolt clamp. The two leaks that I will fault on Mishimoto was the drain plug and the barbed fitting. They used teflon on the drain plug that was meant to seal with a gasket and not the threads. With the barbed fitting they look like they just went too thick with the teflon and it pushed up the threads as the fitting was installed.

Bluedemon_II

Use Hair spray on the inside of the hose, then clamp it down with t-bolts. End of story. It should seal up quite nicely afterward.