MudFlaps 2008+ (Hatch) DIY Fitting Guide

salsa-king

Ok Ok OK, I had some OE Subaru mudflaps but didn't real like them, a bit stiff and very plasticy looking.

Having looked whats on offer I wasn't going to want to pay ?150+ (by the time you add Import Tax + VAT, handling charges etc etc) to import Rally Armor mudflaps from the USA.

So I opted for the Performance Creations MudFlaps after seeing Hughy's (MY11 Saloon) car with them on.

http://www.performancecreations.co.uk/subaru-impreza-hatchback-rallyflapz-range-50-c.asp

I went for this set and asked for smaller STi logos, which they did.
http://www.performancecreations.co....-x-4-black-with-pink-sti-style-logo-144-p.asp

I said to Ian (from P-C) I'd do a Photo Guide fro ppl to fit to make it easier to understand than the basic instruction sent with the flaps.

FITTING TIME: I allowed all afternoon, I'd say give yourself at least 3 hrs. Fitting doesn't take the time it's more the jacking up and wheel removal and re fitting.

TOOLS NEEDED... 6mm plastic drill bit, cordless drill!!!. general tools for tightening nuts and bolts etc, screw drivers etc, hammer.

Here goes....... pic heavy.....

The brackets supplied with the MF are Stainless steel, so I didn't want that against the glossy flaps.
So I've etch primed them and gloss Black sprayed them (both sides) using HOLTS car paint @ ?3.99 for a can. (3-4 coats of black and they look fine).

IMG_6382_zps58a3256a.jpg

IMG_6383_zpsce2d5251.jpg

IMG_6384_zps28540c59.jpg

I thought I'd start on the rears.. thinking they would be easy to do.. ;)
IMG_6386_zps532963d2.jpg

First off trolly jack up the car and remove the alloy, then remove the OE Subaru MF and the related clips for it.
IMG_6387_zps247358ac.jpg

IMG_6389_zps567ed607.jpg

IMG_6390_zps9e3af175.jpg

Where the two metal screws holding the OE Mudflap where, are used for the NEW push in clips for the STi Mudflaps

Fix the support bar in the wheel arch (I used the hole the OE mudflap used), don't tighten up yet!!
IMG_6392_zps5b57e998.jpg

Push the two plastic clips into the bracket before mounting against the mudflap
IMG_6391_zpsbe46ce56.jpg

The two inner holes have the Nut&Bolt attached to the bracket and Mudflap,
IMG_6393_zps11511269.jpg

The last Nut and Blot is also attached to the support bar (that's already attached to the inner wheel arch trim plastic).

Once all in place tighten all the Nut/Bots up.
IMG_6395_zpsde424d4c.jpg

IMG_6394_zps97ce9224.jpg

I added a coupke of drops of SuperGlue to the threads of the bolts once they were tightened.

When you've done that, bend the support bar to make a better fit.
IMG_6398_zps4eb41ff7.jpg

IMG_6396_zps846f21ac.jpg

IMG_6410_zps1e3e0780.jpg

FRONTS.. I thought were going to be a nightmare as they needed to be drilled. TBH they were easier than the rears.. and they weren't difficult :lol:

Again, jack the front up and remove the wheel, OE Mudflap as well
IMG_6399_zps9c7a34a1.jpg

IMG_6400_zps61e9cedc.jpg

Offer up the front bracket to the edge/platic trim like below,
If you get the inside part of the bracket against the inner part of the trim and the line evenly along the bottom edge, you'll have an even fitment.
IMG_6401_zps2e8c2b69.jpg

Mark the bracket holes with a marker pen (so you know where to drill)
IMG_6402_zpsbee3135a.jpg

drill the 4 holes using a 6mm Drill bit (use a drill bit for plastic!!) Only drill the outter plastic trim. Don't carry on to the plastic under neath!!
IMG_6403_zps7be71d0a.jpg

Trim the ends off TWO of the Plastic clips, as they will be a bit too long for the two top holes you've drilled.
IMG_6408_zps9c2860eb.jpg

Attach the 4 plastic 6mm clips to the bracket then fit that to the MF (the two shorter clips go on the outside top two holes).
Make sure you press the flap well up against the bracket to make it snug. I used a flat head screw driver to ease it onto the clip better.
IMG_6404_zpse2248e4d.jpg

Then firmly press each clip in the holes you've drilled. I also carefully tapped them in using a hammer and using the soft plastic end of a screwdriver as a protective tapping block.
IMG_6406_zpsf6ac53eb.jpg

Done!!
IMG_6412_zpsde769b33.jpg

IMG_6413_zps104cade6.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

salsa-king

Why would you want to adjust mudflaps?? Ie: like a spoiler?

I spoze you could take them off and drill some other holes to alter the hight. But why would you?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I think what Grinder is asking is, if they are like the Rally Armor flaps that are adjustable side to side. So you can decide how far outside the wheel well they hang. I have mine probably 3/4" past the edge of the wheel well. Gives it a nice rally look and catches a lot of extra stones and dirt that would otherwise have hit the paint.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
^exactly. When i first put them on I had them pretty far out, then I moved them inboard a bit. Just wondering if that's easy to do, or would require completely removing and re-drilling.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
On the Rally Armor flaps, a couple of the mounting holes on each flap are an elongated, oval shape, so you can
loosen a couple screws ever so slightly, push/pull the flap inboard/outboard and re-tighten them.
The flaps listed at the link above look pretty sweet, but it seems like you'd have to drill additional holes to adjust
how far outboard the flaps are positioned.

salsa-king

oh, I see what you mean.

No, you can't alter these LEFT/RIGHT.
If you drilled the holes I spoze you could them slide. In/Out

I think I might contact the designer and say that might be an option, as the brackets would cover the larger/oval/longer fixing hole.