My 02 Bugeye Project

What do I do?

• Total voters
ok ladies and gentleman! First I will share my dilemma and get your input on best avenue(s) to go.

My 02 wrx has 185k and all I've done is short ram, full TBE w/ up pipe and tune. I'm to the point where it's time to put some $$ into maintaining this motor or I have the option to do the hybrid swap for around $3,000.

My thought process is stop dumping money into the 2.0 and do the STI long block swap to have a better platform to build on. I want to be able to put down 325-350 HP reliably.

What is your input on this dilemma?

cobbtunedsti

For sure do the 2.5 swap!! But for $3000 assuming this is labor to you can get a good built 2.5 for $3000 and drop it in yourself!! At least while the 2.5 is out put pistons in it!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I say 2.5 for the win? Don't be cheap Brandon. Take your time and ask all questions. We have some great builders in IGOTASTi.com. and they will be glad to help you. I can't wait to see how your build turns out.

I get the block for $2500 and the shop is giving me a $500 credit to give them my 2.0, so $200 for the block. My buddy is gonna drop it in for me but I am doing a new clutch and I am thinking about upgrading to an STI turbo.

What kind of pistons would you recommend putting in and what kind of $$ am I looking at just for the piston? Would it really benefit me that much to do pistons if I'm not going for ridiculous dyno numbers?

cobbtunedsti

Depends on what condition the used block is in??? If it has 50,000 miles I would put in new bearings to!! If the block needs to be boared out that's $500 and it's $400-$500 for the piston..

im thinking I'm gonna drive this motor until it dies or the timing belt quits on me... but at the same time... I'm getting a $500 credit for my working motor not a broke one.

STimedic

Truth! Bit I also say look around, learn a bit and buy as much as you can to do the majority all at once. Getting an STi longblock is good, get a set of forged pistons and new bearings (if needed), but also find an STi UP and go wth a larger turbo, as the stock WRX TD04-19 will become more of a restriction with the 2.5L. If you're gonna do it right, do it right the first time! It will save many a headache down the road.

I've got to get all the extras priced out... IE pistons, bearings, turbo, turbo inlet and injectors. YAY!!! Money is meant to be spent right!

So what I am looking at now is the 06-07 WRX longblock rather than the STI longblock. Anyone know where I can find one for a decent price?