My Current Mods + How Much $ = 450whp

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Ooookay, so I'm bringing this back from the dead for a few reasons. I think it has a lot of potential to answer questions that others may have and I wanted to go over a couple specifics that we didn't touch on before.

Once again, a big thank you to George a.k.a. HolyCrapItsFast for the best damn explanations I've ever received from anyone. It's great to have you here buddy! :tup:

Sooo...let's get to it.

Looking at your MOD list I don't see why you can't achieve your power goal as it stands.

That's what I was thinking. I chose my previous mods (except injectors) to give me that power potential with the exception of forged internals which I would add later for reliability. Until the forged internals were installed, I would only run moderate tune yielding less than 400whp for reliability's sake.

George mentioned TGV deletes. A few years ago, during my big bolt-on and tuning extravaganza, we ran into problems with the TGV deletes I had purchased. They were physically too wide to allow my new turbo inlet to fit. I was on a crazy time budget and had to have the car ready so I could meet my "report no later than" date on my orders. :lol: So we made a decision to leave those out of the picture for the time being. Since then I have traded those TGVs for other parts, so I will purchase new ones before this build.

Heads:
I will clean them all up nicely and drop in 264 cams. I originally thought I'd install +1mm valves and half a shop do the bowl blending to match. I recently had an experienced source tell me that +1mm valves are not necessary and yield minimal power gains at best.
-Is this true? Should they still be considered?
-I am considering replacing any worn components in the heads as necessary such as valve springs. Thoughts on the necessity of this?

Engine Building and Auxiliaries:
I see that many engine builders suggest replacing auxiliaries such as the water pump before installing the new motor.
-What auxiliary's should I replace?
-I'm leaning towards buying a built shortblock and having a friend help me install it because it would probably be more reliable than replacing the internals in my current motor.
* Should I swap over all the auxiliaries from my motor or order all new? (60,000 miles on the motor now, probably 70k by the time I get this all done.)

That should be enough to get the ball rolling... Thanks in advance guys for all your input! :bow:

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you for the vote of confidence sir!

I have some opinions :D, I'm not sure what you are saying about the TGVs because they should be no different than the stock unit and they should be even more low profile because you can eliminate the servo and the sensor. You should really consider the TGV deletes because they are a real source of flow resistance. Perhaps have a look at the composite TGVs that Turn In Concepts sells. I think they are more low profile than the stock unit and the price is reasonable.

I feel the 1mm valves are useless in a turbo application because it is forced induction. The most important mod you can make is bowl blending and some mild porting to remove edges and burrs. Some gasket matching will go a long way also. Other than that just a good solid rebuild will work fine. No need to spend big buck here.

I agree that ancillary devices should be replaced. Water pump as mentioned, all your timing components like belt, pulleys and idlers. I always replace the stock oil cooler. This can clog easily and be a source for contamination on the new motor. Also rid your self of the filter screens in the oil line.

If you have the knowhow then it is always better to rebuild what you have, provided you don't exceed limits like piston wall thickness. My reason for suggesting this is because it allows you to have control over every step of the rebuild process. The key to a good EJ build is the machine work and piston/bore matching. Find a machinist that will torque plate bore and hone. Also match your tolerances to the oil you are using and for the goal of the car. For instance I suggest stock clearances and 5w30 oil on a stock car used for daily driving that may see spirited driving on the street and the occasional sprint at an autocross event. In this scenario I will instruct my machinist to match piston to wall clearances to the tighter side of manufacturer tolerances primarily to better match the pistons to the oil being used and help maintain better daily drivability and longevity. For a car that will see more use on a track I will use looser tolerances everywhere and spec the clearances to accommodate 10w40 or thicker oil.

If you don't possess the knowledge or the time to manage the build yourself then find a reliable source for a built short block. I am no longer familiar with what companies are good because I do everything myself, but you need to find someone that builds specifically to a goal. Most of the OTS short blocks on the market are built primarily for track use and the ones that I have seen for street use are not very well suited for either street or track. No care to proper oil clearances are taken into consideration.

Again these are just my opinions and these are the things that have worked for me.

Ooookay, so I'm bringing this back from the dead for a few reasons. I think it has a lot of potential to answer questions that others may have and I wanted to go over a couple specifics that we didn't touch on before.

Once again, a big thank you to George a.k.a. HolyCrapItsFast for the best damn explanations I've ever received from anyone. It's great to have you here buddy! :tup:

Sooo...let's get to it.

That's what I was thinking. I chose my previous mods (except injectors) to give me that power potential with the exception of forged internals which I would add later for reliability. Until the forged internals were installed, I would only run moderate tune yielding less than 400whp for reliability's sake.

George mentioned TGV deletes. A few years ago, during my big bolt-on and tuning extravaganza, we ran into problems with the TGV deletes I had purchased. They were physically too wide to allow my new turbo inlet to fit. I was on a crazy time budget and had to have the car ready so I could meet my "report no later than" date on my orders. :lol: So we made a decision to leave those out of the picture for the time being. Since then I have traded those TGVs for other parts, so I will purchase new ones before this build.

Heads:
I will clean them all up nicely and drop in 264 cams. I originally thought I'd install +1mm valves and half a shop do the bowl blending to match. I recently had an experienced source tell me that +1mm valves are not necessary and yield minimal power gains at best.
-Is this true? Should they still be considered?
-I am considering replacing any worn components in the heads as necessary such as valve springs. Thoughts on the necessity of this?

Engine Building and Auxiliaries:
I see that many engine builders suggest replacing auxiliaries such as the water pump before installing the new motor.
-What auxiliary's should I replace?
-I'm leaning towards buying a built shortblock and having a friend help me install it because it would probably be more reliable than replacing the internals in my current motor.
* Should I swap over all the auxiliaries from my motor or order all new? (60,000 miles on the motor now, probably 70k by the time I get this all done.)

That should be enough to get the ball rolling... Thanks in advance guys for all your input! :bow:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Thanks for the input! :tup:

It's been a long time so I don't know how accurate my description of the TGVs were. First off, I don't think they were the best quality. Secondly, I think part of why they were wider and interfered with the turbo inlet is because they were intended for a rotated turbo install. Anyway, I will get Grimmspeed or TiC TGV deletes for this next build.

As for the oil choice. I am currently running AMSOIL Dominator, but I'd rather choose the oil for the motor, not the other way around...so no worries there. I will track it, but I want it to be mkre streetable than
anything else.

I have no experience in motor building and though I may have help, I'd rather get the car in the road a little more quickly. Furthermore, being that I moved here less than 2 years ago, I don't know what shops I'd even trust. I'll most likely find a reputable builder online and call around until I'm confident in them.
At that time, I will be compiling a list of questions for him that would include the oil clearances, tolerances, etc. Hopefully I can get some recommendations for questions from you guys.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Also, if I post a few links to built short blocks, could any of you take a look and tell me what you think?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's not the brand oil you want to spec clearances for but the weight oil. If your using AMSoil I would not change that. What I would change is go from Dominator to the high zinc street formula. I wouldn't use the dominator in a street application because it is a racing oil and racing oils are not formulated for long term street use. They are meant to be changes before every race where as the street formula, with high zinc and phosphorus, are long term oil intervals with pretty much the same protection of the race formula.

Thanks for the input! :tup:

It's been a long time so I don't know how accurate my description of the TGVs were. First off, I don't think they were the best quality. Secondly, I think part of why they were wider and interfered with the turbo inlet is because they were intended for a rotated turbo install. Anyway, I will get Grimmspeed or TiC TGV deletes for this next build.

As for the oil choice. I am currently running AMSOIL Dominator, but I'd rather choose the oil for the motor, not the other way around...so no worries there. I will track it, but I want it to be mkre streetable than
anything else.

I have no experience in motor building and though I may have help, I'd rather get the car in the road a little more quickly. Furthermore, being that I moved here less than 2 years ago, I don't know what shops I'd even trust. I'll most likely find a reputable builder online and call around until I'm confident in them.
At that time, I will be compiling a list of questions for him that would include the oil clearances, tolerances, etc. Hopefully I can get some recommendations for questions from you guys.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What is long term exactly? Cause im using dominator and changing every 3k miles.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think that counts as long-term. , With a track car, they're changing every race which, except for enduro-racing, amounts to a couple hours of driving, or a few hundred miles at most.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I have run 0w30, 5w30 and now this Dominator which only comes in 10w30.

Either way, I will choose the appropriate oil for the motor, not choose motor tolerances to match a certain oil....so, oil choices are a moot point at this stage.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Interesting.......

Always used Dominator in the STi with no issues what so ever [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Interesting.......

Always used Dominator in the STi with no issues what so ever [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Im in the same boat as you are. (Past 1.5 years of dominator) no issues here either.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Interesting.......

Always used Dominator in the STi with no issues what so ever @HolyCrapItsFast

Not saying you will run into issues but it is not the ideal oil for the application. You probably won't really notice a difference however there is a reason they have a product for racing and a product for the street. If you run your car at the track often then Dominator is probably your oil of choice but it must be changed frequently.

Besides you hardly drive your garage queen so there is no significant miles on your oil :lol:. Of course you have no problems!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
^ bahahahaha!! :lmao:

So then, George, should i switch to the zinc additive amsoil then?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Not saying you will run into issues but it is not the ideal oil for the application. You probably won't really notice a difference however there is a reason they have a product for racing and a product for the street. If you run your car at the track often then Dominator is probably your oil of choice but it must be changed frequently.

Besides you hardly drive your garage queen so there is no significant miles on your oil :lol:. Of course you have no problems!!!

HEY NOW! :rofl:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I drive conservatively now a days... The car got its fair share of whippings in the first 2 years when i wasnt educated about the car....

Now i cherish her like a queen!

:rofl:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This is what I use in my car and I drive the fuck out of it. 175,000 miles and the last compression test was 155psi in all four cylinders. Oil pressure on a hot motor at idle is 45psi and at cruise is 85psi. People who know the 240 and the KA24DE will tell you I have an enigma.

This is the only oil this car has seen since I had it with the exception of redline early on. I switched to AMSoil because of the zinc additive.

20140414_152948.jpg

^ bahahahaha!! :lmao:

So then, George, should i switch to the zinc additive amsoil then?

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Can you summarize very briefly what the zinc additive does exactly to help the engine?

I will switch to your zinc after i have finished up the remaining dominator. I have one more oil change worth.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Can you summarize very briefly what the zinc additive does exactly to help the engine?

I will switch to your zinc after i have finished up the remaining dominator. I have one more oil change worth.

Zinc or ZDDP (with phosphorous) is an anti wear agent.
Helps protect the engine parts by making a protective layer or film.
ZDDP levels have dropped in many years because of emissions standards. High levels of ZDDP can be detrimental to the emissions systems particularly the catalytic converters.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
High levels of ZDDP can be detrimental to the emissions systems particularly the catalytic converters.

What the hell are those? :rofl: