Need advice on future with my STi

milehighsubie303

I have a 2012 sti on e85. (Perrin CAI, invidia catted DP, invidia q300, ID 1000cc injectors, DW fuel pump. Boost controller.)
My concern is I feel my car is not performing as it should with that fuel change. Is anyone here have similar setups? Are you happy with it?

Did you change any internals?

I just don't want to be more prominent to ring land failure. Is it better to be stock and wait to actually get forged internals to avoid ring land failure?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Nearly identical to yours and yes I'm happy with it. Been this way for over two years now on stock internals. Before, I had various stage 1 and 2 maps. The car is 6.5 years old and been tuned for 5.5 years.

IIRC you had some concerns before with a code being thrown, P0171, if I'm not mistaken? Did you ever get your issues squared away? Talked to your tuner about your concerns?

What exactly are you not happy about with your performance?

As for ring land failure? There is no magic bullet other than forged pistons with a better design. However, be aware that for every 1 car with a blown engine, there are 10 that are just fine. Not saying there isn't issue but to say that it's inevitable is just wrong. Bad press gets the most air time, so to speak. Push the car hard, however, and you're almost certain to send your pistons the gods.

I'm fairly modded on stock internals without issue. My friend has a rex going 60k+ of hard use and he's fine and tuned stage two. Another just sold his 80k 2011 bone stock without issues.

milehighsubie303

Yea still throwing that code, my tuner I think is kind of ignoring the car since he hasn't been able to fix it. I just don't think my car is as fast as it should be.

Friday night my car was running good with no code(usually after I reset ecu) was with a friend who has a 2011 Rex stage two map on AP. It was just weird to me that after couple pulls in the high way he was keeping up with me like half a car length.

To me I think the car is not performing as it should,being the fact I should be making way more power. As for ring land failure I was just concerned that being on e85 would cause ring land failure at a faster rate. I rather have stock internals for now. I hardly push the car hard only sometimes.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If it was tuned right, E85 stage 2 should be much quicker than OTS gas maps. I agree
Resetting the ECU just makes the light go out and clear the learned parameters of the ECU. This is not fixing anything. If there is a problem like a boost leak, then the ECU will repopulate back to the way it was before the reset. Immediately after the reset, the ECU will not be compensating for the lean condition by adding fuel and you could actually run very lean and knock until the ECU catches up with adding fuel or timing retard.
The good news is E85 has a higher resistance to knock so it is a bit safer than pump gas, generally.

You should really be more assertive with your tuner, not a dick but be very firm about what you are experiencing and what you expect to be done to correct it. If it is something that he did, he should eat the cost. If it something that just happened or you did, well, thats on you.

Can you post some cruising logs and short WOT pull for us to look at? There are a few guys here that can be very helpful in pinpointing what's up. Do these logs without resetting the ECU and preferably when the CEL comes back on, that way we know the ECU is telling us a problem exists and is doing what it can to compensate.

Another note is that your ethanol content should be going down, if not already there from when it was in the summer that you were tuned. The added gas to the mix will cause your car to be a bit down on power, in itself, as this was no the optimum fuel it was tuned on. I believe you had said that you were tuned in summer so you should be seeing up to 15% less ethanol by now.

milehighsubie303

Yea I want to post some logs on here. I just don't have a tactrix cable and they run for 200 so I might have to have some one log it for me who has the cable already.

The tune was fine like September then after that it started with the code then in October I changed to the Perrin CAI then had the tuner calibrate the intake.
Code has still been there haven't done anything to my car besides that.

Probably will make some calls to some other tuners see if they can help and Probably give me some logs I can't send to you guys.

It's frustrating seeing a Rex on ots maps and gas barely half a car behind. Should be quicker for sure.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If you wanna play, you gotta pay. Get that cable, you'll need it if you plan on modding your car.

So your tuner tuned for a new intake while you are throwing codes? Was he aware of this?

milehighsubie303

If you wanna play, you gotta pay. Get that cable, you'll need it if you plan on modding your car.

So your tuner tuned for a new intake while you are throwing codes? Was he aware of this?

Getting the tactrix tonight, what's a good program I can download to run logs and flash the ecu. Maybe get some logs up
For you guys this weekend. What mods are done to your sti

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Romraider and ecuflash :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Tried downloading romraider couldn't download it, it's stalls during the installation will try ecu flash next

You need both... RomRaider does logs and ECUFlash flashes.

Run CCleaner and make sure your Java is up to date and then try installing it again. :tup: