NEED EXPERIENCED ADVICE

MILLI_VANILLI

I have recently come across a 2007 SUBARU wrx STI LIMITED pretty free of charge, that seems to be pretty modified..... Modifications include: Garret GT 35 turbo full kit, Aeromotive fuel, Garret inter cooler, Tilton clutch ... the car is clean and it runs fairly well with the exception of some serious turbo lag at low rpm.. and a rough low idle.... I dont know much about these cars and I would really like to get into these incredible Machines.... It has 73k miles on it and I want to rebuild the motor and continue to upgrade the car... So basically i need some of you Buffs out there to give me suggestions on where to start... I was told to come to this site for professional drama free advice ,,, so have at it ...Thanks guys

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First thing welcome to the team. Second I would do a compression test on that car first to see what it comes in at. Also how much do they want for it?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
First thing welcome to the team. Second I would do a compression test on that car first to see what it comes in at. Also how much do they want for it?

What he said...

A compression and leak down test will give you a known base line. It will tell you right off the bat whether anything is wrong with the car or if it is on it's way out. It is the best thing you can do before anything right now because the results could determine your next course of action with the car.

The lag and idle can be considered normal for that turbo depending on what else is done like manual boost controller and injectors and such. It would be really helpful if you could give us a comprehensive and detailed list of all the mods you currently have in the car.

MILLI_VANILLI

OK thank you.... I will work on a more detailed list of Modifications , Like i said before I am a complete noob at this.. But have been interested in these cars for a very long time ... Where should i go to have a compression test done?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What he said. ^^^^ :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
OK thank you.... I will work on a more detailed list of Modifications , Like i said before I am a complete noob at this.. But have been interested in these cars for a very long time ... Where should i go to have a compression test done?

Any shop really. The tuner shops seem to know what they are doing more though. You might be able to request this from the dealer also. It will cost you anything from $100 to $200 for the test but don't overlook the importance. Considering you got the car for only $8K spend the cash on the test. It will thank you for it in the end :lol:

Good luck with it man! Treat her well and she will return the favor. :tup: