Need help troubleshooting

maes0732

Converted it back to stage 1. I cant just quit driving it, and I rarely ever go past half throttle to be honest. I only planned to get on it at the track and right now its closed. So is my only option taking it to a tuner to get it hooked up to a computer? I don't think I can data-log with my V1 AP.

TK-421

Converted it back to stage 1. I cant just quit driving it, and I rarely ever go past half throttle to be honest. I only planned to get on it at the track and right now its closed. So is my only option taking it to a tuner to get it hooked up to a computer? I don't think I can data-log with my V1 AP.

FWIW I would try to get your hands on a V2 used AccessPORT. They can be found for a pretty decent price these days. You can do all the things we talked about with a V2. I really don't know anyone that still tunes V1 AP's I know I don't.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Can you take a picture of this "Injen MAF"? Is that the MAF sensor itself you are describing?

Some things you can do yourself to rule out any subsequent issues are...

1. Do a visual check of all hoses for leaks. Spray some carburetor spray around the manifold and hoses while the engine is running and listen for changes in idle. That will indicate a leak.

2. Clean the MAF sensor. Get your self a can of brake cleaner, remove the MAF sensor and spray it liberally in the sensor. Don't extend the spray nozzle to far into the sensor and be mindful not to disturb the components inside because the wires are thin and brake or bend easy. You just want to fill it and shake it around a little and then empty it.

3. Change your air cleaner.

4. I know you changed your plugs but did you gap them. Do not trust that they are gapped properly out of the box. They should be gapped to .028 inches.

5. Cycle the main engine harness connectors. These are the two big connectors over by the battery. Unplug them and clean them with the same brake cleaner you used for the MAF and then reconnect them.

Other recommended test are to have a compression test and a boost leak test performed.

Last edited:

maes0732

Well I had a quick chance to look under the hood. The maf isn't an Injen one like I assumed. Its a denso and it looked really clean when I took it off. However, the air filter looks horrible. I didn't have the time to remove it. Could I just remove it to trouble shoot for now? If its not the issue I want to wait on buying a new $50 k&n

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I suppose you could just to see if there is any improvement but to see the effect you need to log before and after fuel trims.