New Flywheel or Resurface?

My flywheel has 189k on it so do you think I can get away with resurfacing or should I buy a new flywheel? I have to replace my clutch since it's slipping so I want to get this figured out so I can do it all at once.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Now see I would try to resurface it first. The only time you should have to buy a new flywheel is if the old one can no longer be resurfaced because it was done once already or it is badly warped or you plan on replacing it with a lighter unit. A really good auto parts store should offer those services at a very reasonable price.

of course this is just my opinion though. To me there is no sense to replace it if it is perfectly fine and can be resurfaced.

***EDIT*** You beat me to the punch Defined!

Last edited:
It has never been resurfaced... I'd like to avoid spending another $3-400 for a flywheel if I can just resurface it for a fraction of that.

I just did my clutch two weeks ago. With 189k on it, I would have went with a new flywheel. My car only has 58k on it and I have no plans for protune or any additional power until I do a full build so I just did a resurface. Most places will take off .010 inch. But if you also have no plans for increased power and running fairly stock you may get away with a resurface. Really depends on the condition of the flywheel after you take it off but then youll have to wait. If money is tight tho, do resurface. If you can afford an extra 200 bucks, do a new clutch at this point.

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
replace it if you want to upgrade to a lighter one...otherwise resurface, mileage is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to a part like that, $250+ for new $50 ish or less to resurface

I'm thinking resurface for now then when I do my motor swap i can put a more reliable flywheel in. I'm just doing daily driving with not much horsepower now