New intake

stiorbust

Quick question. During my tune we took the injen cold air off since it .sucks and put oem back on. My question can I cut the tube and make a short ram out of it? I think it would.work

Grant Sampson via tap a talk

Vermont

Yes you can but it will not help with performance at all... In fact the short ram air intake that actually works is the Cobb one with the cold air box. The reason being that with a short ram intake all you doing is sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Hot air has less mass and with less air in the engine you make less power. It can actually be harmful to the engine if you just put it on there with out tuning the car for it. If you looking for that awesome sound you get from having the intake, then remove the snorkel if you haven't already. Other wise I would suggest you pick up an AEM CAI and down pipe and get pro tuned for them both. The AEM CAI are about $250 a pop and a good Megan racing Down Pipe will run you another $200. With that and another $200-$300 for a pro-tune and you will be set.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
With that and another $200-$300 for a pro-tune and you will be set.

I see you're from VA. Seems like most of the tuners around here charge $500? Are re-tunes cheaper?

But yeah, I've always heard the stock intake is pretty darn capable, and removing the snorkus gets you some more sound.

stiorbust

Good to know. I have a agency cattless downpipe, 3" center pipe going to a single 4.25" hks muffler on my 08 sti. Tunes here are $375 to $425

stiorbust

I had the injen cold air intake but I guess they are very difficult to tune and actually compromise power. I was gonna cut it and fab a piece to block off the hot air.

Vermont

I had the injen cold air intake but I guess they are very difficult to tune and actually compromise power. I was gonna cut it and fab a piece to block off the hot air.

Ummmm..... Well.... Honestly the injen intake is not that bad... It sounds a lot more like your tuner just doesn't feel like re-filling in the tables needed. The reason most tuners (most not all) want their customers to buy certain parts is because they already have maps and tables filled out for that part, and they are just plain old lazy when it comes to filling in new tables and figuring out how the new part interacts with the rest of the system. Honestly there is nothing wrong with the injen cold air intake. Plenty of people run them on higher horse power STI's with out a problem. Now the thought of blocking off the location of the intake's filter is great. You always want to isolate the filter from the rest of the engine bay and the hot air inside of it.

I see you're from VA. Seems like most of the tuners around here charge $500? Are re-tunes cheaper?

But yeah, I've always heard the stock intake is pretty darn capable, and removing the snorkus gets you some more sound.

That is about right for tunes in this area. I will say this now with a little bit of trepidation but Mach V in Reston is not bad.... That beeing said I do all my own tuning with the help of people from the forum. If you look on Mach V's facebook page I have the Red GR on the dyno getting a baseline there recently. I would suggest either doing it your self or going to that guy up in Maryland if you have the money... Can't remember the name of the shop but SharlaSTI is coming from Colorado to get a tune and build done there. So pretty legit. Also if you just wait a little bit, Spec Ops does tuning days every now and then around southern VA. Their STI tuner/tuners (Fuji/Reks/HolyCrapItsFast their user names here) are all very good and very knowledgeable tuners. Personally I wont let any one else but Holycrap and my self touch my cars tune...

Bluedemon_II

Like Vermont states, the intake does not suck. I had it in my Sti and tuned it and it worked out just fine. The thing is that if the tuner does not have the correct tools and the right set of knowledge to tune the intake, he will have a hard time with fuel trims going off the charts after the tune. I tuned mine and that of a few clients and cant complaint.

Vermont

Like Vermont states, the intake does not suck. I had it in my Sti and tuned it and it worked out just fine. The thing is that if the tuner does not have the correct tools and the right set of knowledge to tune the intake, he will have a hard time with fuel trims going off the charts after the tune. I tuned mine and that of a few clients and cant complaint.

Tools? I maintain that it is more of a knowledge issue.... or him just being lazy... Heck even with out any spread sheets or graphs you can scale your MAF pretty damn well... to within 10% all around... The RR MAF scalier and the other spread sheets just make it that much easier... Let us be honest here.... It is laziness...

Last edited:

stiorbust

Hus buddy is tuner at efi logics and he gave my tuner a cpl maps to use and no go. His buddy also said that the injen is junk. Idk bit I do know.when I first put it on I notice a large increase in power. I have a 9 Sec truck so I know power. I wasn't losing my mind. I have a cpl ppl keeping an eye out for a used cobb. Once I get that I will see for myself. I don't think its laziness or lack of skill. I've seen his work and I know this inability to tune my car was driving him crazy. I swapped to the ngk one step colder plugs and it is back at his shop to be tuned no charge. If he can't get it then I will find another tuner.

stiorbust

But its def not laziness. Him and I were discussing and brainstorming for hours. He is very motivated. I have a feeling his software is to blame. I just want my girl back. But now I need to switch mufflers since I think I blew it out. It rattles like crazy either that or I can't get the silencer tight enough